Monday, June 29, 2009

Tweet Tweet!

Hark! What is that I hear? It's the Dainty Housewren sweetly cheeping "look at me!"


The Dainty Housewren
by Carriage House Samplings
used recommended NPI silks except added 240 (pink) for dress
I think the linen is Vintage Buttercream by Lakeside Linens

I really enjoyed stitching this one. I made a few changes in the design (no surprise eh?).

I love these nasturtiums too. The colours of these are so pretty this year.

When I started stitching the Dainty Housewren I was listening to The tale of Edgar Sawtelle. While it was really good - a modern take on Hamlet, and involved a storyline of raising dogs which I found interesting - half way through I couldn't listen any more because the story was so depressing. I think I was avoiding and/or shortening my stitching because I just felt so sad listening to the story.

So, I switched and listened to something completely silly and delightful - The Fourth Bear by Jasper Fforde. This is part of the Nursery Crime series and is absolutely hilarious. The narrator, Simon Vance, is just superb. My goodness, what a difference it made to my stitching! I kept wanting to continue stitching because the story was so funny.

Motto: Life is too short to let something ruin your mood for stitching! This is not a slight on the book but a comment on what I need to support my stitching - something light and bright and sparkly. Well, truth be told, I think it's just my summer mood.

I'm currently reading a book which has delighted and surprised me but I want to finish it first before I know I can recommend it. I'd finished The Art of Racing in the Rain, and it was wonderful. I love Enzo and I think you will too!

So now I will have to prepare linens for a few upcoming projects. It'll be a surprise as to what I stitch next. Eeeny-meeny-miney-mo! BTW, there are a few wonderful new designs coming out. Check out Midsummer Night Designs, new to me, and quite delightful! Then Kathy from Carriage House Samplings has some new ones forthcoming. I like Frederika - such a pretty bird!

Lastly, I'll leave you with a picture of Julius, doing what cats do best. In his case, he has a little quirk where he has to sleep on TOP of the cushion, or if he sleeps on his side, the cushion has to be tucked under his head like a pillow. Silly cat! He's quite a wonderful character.

Thank you for stopping by. I hope you are enjoying your summer so far - can't believe it's the last day of June tomorrow! TTFN.

31 comments:

Lisa said...

Lovely finish!! Now decisions, decisions, on what to do next, I know that feeling too well.

Old Yankee Stitcher said...

Wonderful finish, congrats, I really like the pink dress. I do like the new Midsummer Night Design, Simple Pleasures and Fredericka is already on my wish list. Have fun picking something new to stitch. CJ ok;-)

Jan said...

Your Dainty Housewrens is just lovely, Michelle! A wonderful finish!! Love the pic of your kitty, that is so sweet!

Theresa said...

Beautiful finish!!! I think the woman in that design is full of characters!!!
Your cat is adorable!!!!! Thanks for sharing~

nima said...

beautiful finish....pretty flower...and cute kitty

Irene said...

Wonderful finish !

Andrea said...

Love your Dainty Housewren, it's gorgeous!

I agree, life is too short for things you don't enjoy....

that kitty of yours is too cute! My Chester had his weird quirks too, cats are so funny!

Can't wait to see what you work on next!
xoxo

Evik said...

Very nice finish!

Please visit my blog ;) I have a surprise for you ;)

Terri(TerriBoog) said...

This is a beautiful finish, Melissa and I love the color change on her dress! GREAT JOB!

I have put The Art of Racing in the Rain on hold per your recommendation. Two of the other books you recommended were not in our catalog.....

Great pic of the kitty - so regal!

Tanya said...

Such a pretty finish! Cute kitty!

KarenV said...

Fabulous finish Melissa! I really must get this chart sooner rather than later, yours looks wonderful :)

I love Jasper Fforde, both the Thursday Next and Nursery Crimes series. I'm impatiently waiting his next release....

Love the picture of Julius - he looks so contented there :)

Jane said...

Congrats on your finish! It looks just lovely of course.

Always fun to pick out what to do next. Can't wait to see what it is.

Julius looks so comfy on that cushion. Don't they always get the good spots?

Deb said...

What a great finish. I really hadn't paid much attention to this design, but I really like it. I saw the new MND pieces too and like all of them. And Julius looks so contented. Sometimes I wish I was a cat and could spend my days on a pillow in the sun.

Margaret said...

I was just reading about Twitter, so of course that's what I thought of when I read the title of your post! lol! I love your finish! It's wonderful! I love the pink dress -- gives it the color the design needs IMO. I found Edgar Sawtelle depressing too. I have yet to read the Fourth Bear although it's on the list. Have you read any of Jasper Fforde's other books? He's wonderful, isn't he?

Andrea said...

Fabulous finish Melissa. Great photo of Julius too. :)

mainely stitching said...

After decades of reading only serious ("") literature, I decided a year or two ago that if it was bumming me out, out it goes. Even if it's a really good book. It was just affecting my overall mood far too much.

Dainty Housewren is a beauty. I love the pink you added for her dress.

Brigitte said...

This is just beautiful. How come that I don't have this chart in my stash??? I think I'll have to compile a new order ... lol

Karoline said...

It's a lovely finish, congratulations
Lovely photo of your cat, he looks very comfy

Patti said...

Gorgeous finish - just gorgeous. So what is next????? Lots of Love Patti xxx

CindyMae said...

Love the finish! Gorgeous work!!! The Fourth Bear sounds great!!

Cindy Mae
My store opens July 1st
www.cindymaedesigns.com

Alice said...

She is really a pretty!! Lovely finish.
Alice

staci said...

Adore your housewren finish, you always stitch the loveliest projects!!!

I'm going to check my library for The Fourth Bear and The Art of Racing in the Rain. Thanks for the recommendations!

Tammy said...

Your finish is beautiful!! I've not seen that one, but obviously need to add it to my wish list, lol.

~ Stitchin Sweet Sue ~ said...

This is a new design for me, it's so lovely, just beautiful:)

Leah said...

Melissa, your Dainty Housewren turn out beautifully!

Regarding Bella, we feed her raw meat mixed with veggies and ground egg shells. What do you feed your cats?

Siobhan said...

Woohoo!! Fabulous finish! Congratulations. Your orange cat is just adorable. Makes me miss mine--but happy memories. Give him a cuddle for me. I can't wait to get Frederika!

The Scarlett House said...

Very nicely done, Melissa. I'm anxious to see what you choose next.
I always enjoy your flower photos. Thanks for that.

Kellie said...

Hi Melissa,
I love Dainty Housewren and the pink dress. :) Congrats on your finish. Thank you for the book recommendations. I always enjoy hearing what others liked or didn't like with various books. I have noted The Art of Racing in the Rain so that I will remember to pick it up somewhere eventually and read it. I am currently re-reading/listening to the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon and enjoying it all over again. What a sweetie Julius is!! He is so cute! I love his little crossed paws on the pillow--so dignified. :)
Have a great rest of the week!

Joke said...

Hi, I have been reading and looking pictures with great pleasure. thank you!

Paulette said...

Oh goodness, you've done me in now. I started this CHS on a different color of fabric, using the fibers recommended for the black linen - just to do something different. I'm scrapping it in lieu of your fiber choices! Absolutely wonderful!

Paulette

Cindy F. said...

Love your finish!! and your color choices!!