Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day!

We are in a cool drizzly spell right now. The plants could sure use the moisture, that's for sure. I'm sure that won't dampen Father's Day - cave men instincts will live on, with many grills firing up tonight I'm sure!

On the stitching front, my hands are following my heart, and the garden theme continues...
The Dainty Housewren
by Carriage House Samplings

I'm enjoying this stitch very much! I'm surprised I've gotten so far with it in a week. Some designs just do that, don't they? They are so easy breezy and others seem to be more fiddly. For those who have stitched this design already, you will have noticed that I changed the dress to pink instead of using the gold. Yeah, I'd wanted a pink dress. Since I am not using beads, I made the flowers into sunflowers instead but then had to do a bit of outline stitching so they'll show up better!

Last week I received some gorgeous prints purchased from a very talented artist, Wyann Thompson. Here are my goodies.
The big picture is called "Free to Be". I've been eyeing this for months and I'm so glad I finally was able to purchase the print. The black and white is is a complement to it isn't it? I like the idea of the birds being freed from the cages. Even as a young child, I really didn't like seeing birds in cages. I had imagined if it were someone tying your feet together so you could only hobble instead of walk. A bird in a cage was such a sad thing to me, and now seeing a bird let out of a cage, well both paintings were very meaningful for me! And, I love the colours of "Free to Be".

Yesterday, there was a big plant sale at a local nursery. I was looking for a white rose, preferabley a David Austin Rose. Instead we found this unusual beauty.
Jaqueline Du Pre rose

If you go here you will find more info about this rose. We just liked the unusal pink stamen on the rose, and it has a really delicate and unusual scent. And, the price was right - $cheap$!

Well, I must run. Thank you for stopping by. You know I love to read your comments, and even if you don't leave any now...well, one day you might! I am so lo-tech and I don't spend enough time learning more features - I don't even know how many visitors I have had to my blog. Something else to add to my to-figure-out list.

Have a great Father's Day with all the cavemen you know! I see a few around here! ;-)

18 comments:

KarenV said...

That rose is just beautiful and I love your new prints!

The Dainty Housewren is looking good so far with your colour changes :)

Siobhan said...

Oh, I love that Dainty Housewren!! Beautiful. I've had the chart forever but seeing yours makes me want to dig it out and get started.

I just LOVE those prints that you bought! I prefer to buy things for my house that speak to me, that tell a story, like the Free To Be did for you.

Beautiful new flowers!

Margaret said...

Oh why did you have to remind me of this chart? It's sooooo pretty! I love it! I'm like Siobhan -- I may have to dig it out.

The prints are wonderful, as well as the flowers.

Terri(TerriBoog) said...

I love your version of the Dainty Housewren, Melissa - especially her pink dress!

Your prints are wonderful as is your rose!

Rowyn said...

Dainty Housewren is looking great so far.

"Free to Be" is a beautiful print!

CindyMae said...

Your WIP is looking fantastic! Those are gorgeous roses. I love those prints too!

mainely stitching said...

Dainty Housewren looks great! And I love your new prints and posies, too. :D

Kellie said...

Hi Melissa,
Your CHS stitching is lovely. I like the pink dress. :) Love the prints and the rose. Hope you had a great weekend.

S said...

I so wanted to stitch that pattern! It looks great so far. OH, and I love those prints too. Will be checking out that shop next.

Jane said...

Hi Melissa! You've done it again with such an interesting post. Those prints are gorgeous - I love that whimsical look! Great going on your current WIP too. Such lovely work and looks like you'll fly through it quickly. :) Have a great week!

wyanne said...

I'm so happy that you loved everything. Thank you for such a nice and thoughtful post...I really appreciate it. Love,
Wyanne

Karoline said...

Great progress on the Dainty Housewren. Your prints and the Rose are lovely

Tanya said...

I love that new start. I love CHS designs period! Those prints are very unique and pretty. Thanks for sharing your new flower pictures.

Lei B. said...

I love The Dainty Housewren design that you are stitching. It looks great. I also love the prints that you purchased, especially "Free to Be". It is just lovely. Take care.

Deb said...

The new prints are very nice! And I love the Dainty Housewren with your color changes. These always look so much better than the charts when finished.

stitcherydoo said...

Lovely roses. That's quite a bit of progress on Dainty Housewren!

Cindy F. said...

Ooooh, LOVE your Dainty Housewren wip!! AND your personal changes to it!

Really gorgeous prints...can't help but smile looking at them:)

Hey, if you want a traffic widget, you can click on someone's blog that has one and it will let you put on your blog from there:)

Loraine said...

Hi there,
I love the Dainty Housewren. So cute! I love this chart, and have never seen it. I guess I can be on the hunt for it!
Glad you want to join our Sail Away SAL. It will be so fun. I'll be sending more info in the coming weeks.

Have a great day!