Followers

Sunday, 14 June 2009

An Embarrassment of Riches

I don't know where I found the expression "An Embarrassment of Riches" but I quite like it. It certainly explains why I feel a little sheepish at my good fortunes:

(1) Three weeks of sunshine, which produced ...ta da!

(2) The Blooming Garden!
I'm proudest of those tall blue delphiniums. I could never grow them at our last house but this house has provided the perfect conditions for it and it is so happy. It grew from a teeny plant to this giant! And really, I can't take too much credit, Mother Nature deserves that. In the foreground are roses, bearded irses, some tall orange lilies in the back.
Here's a different part of the backyard, taken looking out from under the sundeck. While we had lost the mother banana plant, 5 'pups' came back up this spring so we were delighted with this abundance! In the background is our wall of red roses that came with the house, and some pots of tomato plants.

(3) Finished Love of Myn!
Love of Myn
by Barbara Chatterton-Lurring

Such a fun stitch! And, yes, I did make some changes.

(4) Books! Books! Books!
I am currently reading "The Art of Racing in the Rain". If you have a dog, I urge you to go out and get this book. It is just wonderful. It is narrated by Enzo, an old soul of a dog and you just gotta love him. It's funny, it's sad, and it makes you think how we treat our animals and what they think about us! I don't have a dog, never had one (just cats) but I've met a couple of wonderful dogs in my time and I can see them nodding and agreeing as the story unfolds. I wuv this book.

The next 3 books I have read last year or before that. Guernsey, you've heard me rave about it more than once so I won't go on. Suffice to say I bought the hardcover of when it came out, and I just bought the softcover because it has information about the authors in the back, and a reading guide. That's how much I like it.

Nectar from a Stone is great. This is set in 1351 in Wales and I hope she writes a sequel.

The Highest Tide is a wonderful summer read, and can be recommended to a teenager. The story is told by Miles O'Malley, a speed-reading, insomniac, Rachel Carson-obsessed thirteen year old in love with the girl next door. (I'm typing this nearly verbatim from the back of the book.) The story takes place one summer and...I don't want to give it away.

Lastly is a new book I got out from the library called The Good Mayor. It's a wonderful read reminiscent of Chocolat in a way. Be warned that I was lulled into a false sense of 'wonderment' and smiles, then mid-way through the book, lightning struck, so to speak, just like in real life. The writing is gorgeous. It has some wonderful humour and it has sadness. It is a love story. Enough said.

I also have a stack of books from the library! A lot are new releases and I'll let you know how they turn out. I have the latest from John Connolly (woo-hooo, Barbara!) and Kate Grenville.

(5) Some "Garage Sale" finds
Actually, I bought the basket and the duvet cover brand new at a sidewalk sale at a wonderful store, at 50% off (that's the extent of my garage sale!). I love the green basket. It's very sturdy and will be great for holding some of my heavier hardcover books. The duvet cover is so me - roses on one side, stripes on the other in pale pinks and greens.

It's 3pm and I must get out to my garden. The garden 'peaked' last week FULL of blooms. Now I have a lot of spent blooms to deadhead!

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I really enjoy reading your comments and sharing your thoughts. I also enjoy visiting your blogs and seeing the stitching (of course) but also the rhythm of your lives. May/June was graduation season. I suspect wedding season is upon us, and of course, summer holidays!

My next "big task" is to select my next stitching project - oh, the embarrassment of riches never ends...and I hope that holds true for you too.

Take care! Have a wonderful week! Life is Good!

29 comments:

Jan said...

OH Melissa, those are just gorgeous blooms, congrats for having it produce so well for you!

Deb said...

Your garden looks fantastic. This has to be the prettiest time of the year! And I'm going to look up your reading recommendations. I definitely want to read Guernsey and I'll look up the other ones too.

Julie's Keepsakes said...

Your garden is gorgeous! That deep blue/purple is lovely.

Barbara will be quite proud of your finish. It looks really nice.

Mos Los Vagabondos said...

Your delphiniums are spectacular! What a beautiful garden. I'm glad that you enjoy it. Also, great finish. And, thanks for the book list.

Evik said...

Melissa, your garden is very beautiful! I love all blooms :))
"Love of myn" ... beautiful design and great finish!

Suzanne said...

Your garden looks great and those delphiniums are magnificent. Love your finish!

Rowyn said...

Great garden photos. Those blue delphiniums are absolutely beautiful!

Great stitchy finish too.

Enjoy that sunshine. I have really been appreciating temperatures in the double figures after our recent cold snap.

mainely stitching said...

Wow, what an uplifting post! Just what the doctor ordered on this gray Monday morning!

Your Love of Myn is GREAT!! You stitched it so fast! :D

SGVChicago said...

Although your flowers are beautiful, it is the garden of your words that charmed me! I shall purchase each of these books! Thanks you

Jane said...

I'm so happy you're having a great week. :) It's wonderful when things just come together. Your garden's looking lovely with all those assortment of plants. Beautiful when they come into bloom.

Congrats on your finish with Love of Myn. Looks stupendous!

Alice said...

Your garden is positively blooming!! Love your finish and thanks for the intro into those books. Now I feel like a good read. : )Cannot wait to see what you choose to stitch next.
Alice

Margaret said...

great finish! And great garden too. I loved Guernsey -- great book! I'll have to check out your other books.

KarenV said...

Your garden looks fantastic Melissa! We spent most of this weekend tidying ours up - I really must take some updated pictures.

Beautiful finish! Barbara's lovely design turned out great :)

I've just started ...Guernsey... myself and I'm enjoying it so far.

staci said...

Everything looks wonderful (as always!) Love your "Love of Myn". And I might have to check out some of those books you have there. Ahhh, yard sales. I love those too (but haven't been to any this year.)

Barb said...

The garden is lovely! What hardiness zone are you in? I have never had luck with delphiniums. And thanks for the book ideas. I will certainly look for them at the library.

Kellie said...

Hi Melissa,
Your garden is gorgeous! Your banana plant looks wonderful. Dh's is starting to look better, but not as good as yours. :) I am going to take note of your reading recommendations. I love to discover new books and new authors by recommendation of other readers. I have Guernsey loaded onto the iPod as my next audiobook. I am looking forward to it. Love of Myn looks fabulous!! Let us know what you decide to stitch next. Have a wonderful week!!

Karoline said...

Congratulations on your finish, Love of Myn is lovely.

Your garden is looking gorgeous

Michele said...

what a lovely garden! both of them :)

Love your finish! It's lovely :)

I read The Art of Racing in the Rain a few months ago and loved it! I've always wondered what my dogs were thinking .. Enzo was very observant wasn't he :) Thanks for the other book recommendations!

Cathie said...

this is my first visit to your blog and glad i found it, lovely garden and your reading list is inspiring!

Terri(TerriBoog) said...

What beautiful flowers in the garden and on the fabric! I have made note of your reading recommendations since Guernsey was such a great read!

Dora said...

Melissa,
Your garden is so beautiful!
Your Love of Myn finish is stunning. What color changes did you make?

Melissa said...

Hi Dora,

I followed the HDF silks that Barbara recommended for her design. I had forgotten to order Magpie Tears though so I had to use Old Maid of the Vineyard instead. I swapped out some of the motifs for my own - it's an easy design to do some substitutions!

Lastly, I used Lakeside Linen's Reindeer, which you can get from Shakespeare's Peddlar. However, I'm sure it's easy to get a similar substitution. I think Pearl Barley may be close though a bit lighter. I can mail a swatch of the Reindeer to you if you want so you can see. Just email me with your address and I'll get it to the post this week!

Snip said...

Yes, we are having such lovely sunny weather! Your garden is just gorgeous. And thanks for blogging about your book picks. It's always nice to hear what others are reading. "Love of Myn" is just beautiful.

S said...

Beautiful garden and finish. And thank you for the book list too, already ordered the first one!!

Siobhan said...

Your Love of Myn is beautiful! Those flowers--omg. What an amazing garden you have! I am so envious. Talk about a green thumb! :) Thanks for the book tips, I'll definitely look into them!

stitcherydoo said...

Your garden is beautiful! I'm green (pardon the pun) with envy! :) lol

Congratulations on your finish! Happy dances for you.

Chrissie said...

Those delphiniums are certainly beautiful. Glad life is good for you.

Chrissie

Tammy said...

Your garden is gorgeous--love the duvet cover too!

Andrea said...

A wonderful garden, no wonder you are so pleased.