Saturday, May 9, 2009

Stitches and Blooms!

The last while has felt very strange. I'd felt like I left Planet Stitching and landed in some boring black and white world of work work work! Oh - I'm just kidding (slightly). Bad back, and no computer (or limited access anyway) equal no fun!

I now have a new laptop. I'm not completely set up yet as DH is very careful about what he installs, how he installs it, and all the security precautions he has to take. I'm glad he's doing it and not moi! However, I was standing by, trying not to tap my feet too impatiently! Another thing is I'm adjusting to how differently the keyboard and 'mouse' work on the laptop. (I just lost half of this post by accident and must re-do!)

I've been taking care of my back and my back is still not completely happy yet. I missed probably 2-3 weeks of stitching but I've gotten back into it ...slowly. So, with no further ado, here's a progress pic:
Tulip for my Love
by Examplar from the Heart

I took this photo late Friday afternoon. Since then I've completed all those red stars except one and I have run out of that floss! I hope my order comes next week! I was trying to get this done for my anniversary - in about 10 days time! So maybe I will have to be happy just to finish this month.

Now I want to show you some photos of my garden. I haven't been gardening as much as I'd like due to really bad seasonal allergies this spring (affecting so many people it made the local news!) - something to do with a long winter and the plants were busting to bloom so the pollen went like fireworks when the weather warmed up.

I will first show you my "Mom's Garden" which my DH made for me about 3 years ago.

It used to be an unused weedy strip between our house and the neighbours. Now it's a little tranquil space with just enough sun to get some flowers, but it offers lots of cool shade during the day. There are still things to fix up here but it's nice to do it bit by bit through the years.

Waiting for those lilacs to bloom!

Pretty white bleeding hearts in Mom's Garden

Now I will show you some flowers blooming in our sunny backyard.

These beautiful sunset coloured Lewisia are at the bottom of the stairs to the backyard.

Stunning huge blooms from the Japanese Tree Peony


These pink clematis came with the house and are very old but very healthy. They form a huge clump against the back wall of our house. Best of all they have a sweet vanilla scent!

Well, that's it for this post. I have inadvertently deleted parts of this post THREE times due to my not being used to the sensitivity of the touchpad! I'd better go before I do more damage! Thank you so much for your visits and comments - I sure do appreciate them!

Have a lovely Mother's Day and a wonderful week!

21 comments:

Snip said...

Sounds like both of us are having a slow stitching period. I hope your back clears up. I know that back pain can really take over one's life. What a lovely garden! Thanks for the tip about the tea shop. I hope to stop by one day.

Rowyn said...

Tulip for my Love is gorgeous, the thread colour is really lovely too.

You have some great plants in your garden - that white bleeding heart is really unusual, but very striking looking.

When I was young my Mum used to have Clematis growing along the fence in her backyard and the smell was divine.

The garden at our new house is mostly full of New Zealand natives - cabbage and kowhai trees, flaxes etc. Although they make our garden very easy to maintain, it is not as pretty as a garden full of flowers.

I hope your back is on the mend.

Carol R said...

Your little garden is very sweet and the photos are lovely!

When typing your posts make you you click the save button as you go along! It will save you a lot of typing.

I hope your back gets better soon

Jane said...

Good luck with your new computer, Melissa. I'm sure you'll get more confident with it as time goes on.

Your current WIP is going well and hopefully that extra thread will arrive soon.

You've got some lovely plants in your garden. Flowers always bring a smile when you look at them.

Take care with that back too! :)

Have a wonderful Mother's Day!

Siobhan said...

Love your WIP, Melissa! I really like Vilma's designs.

I enjoyed the photos of your garden. Beautiful! We bought this house last summer & it had a landscaped front garden with perennials, so we're adding some flowering perennials here and there and trying to increase the landscaping size, too.

Enjoy getting used to the new computer! It's hard for me to get used to using a laptop--I much prefer the desktop keyboard--so I can imagine the frustration.

Take care of that back! :)

anna said...

Hi Melissa! Not sure if I understood correctly, but do you actually need to use the laptop's touchpad? I never did, always prefered an external mouse just like with the destkop. I also use an external keyboard now, but it's just because I type faster on the one I have (ergonomic) and because I am now using a Trust docking station, to prevent Toska sleeping on the keyboard and ruining my work ;-)
Love your peonies, it's my favorite flower!!!
Take care of your back...!

Margaret said...

Oh I hope your back gets better soon! How awful -- no stitching or computering! Ugh! Hope you get adjusted to your new laptop too. Love your WIP!

Tammy said...

Your WIP is gorgeous! And I love the photos of your garden-the flowers are enough to brighten anyone's day. The bleeding heart in white is lovely!

Jan said...

I sure hope that back is feeling better more each day!

Love your Examplar's Project, the colors are wonderful and I do look forward to seeing more and more of that.

The flower pics are gorgeous, love your Mom's Garden and that Clematis is absolutely breathtaking, lucky you to have it growing and healthy!!

Terri(TerriBoog) said...

Love your start on Tulip for my Love, Melissa. The red is gorgeous! Your garden is very zen like and I'll bet it brings you lots of joy. The flower pics are lovely!

mainely stitching said...

Great to hear from you. I hope you'll be able to enjoy more stitching time - I love your current WIP and it's one I've meant to stitch "forever". Lovely gardening photos!

Leah said...

What a beautiful garden you have!

Karoline said...

Great progress on Tulip, it's looking lovely. Your garden looks gorgeous.

I hope your back continues to improve

Andrea said...

Lovely plants in your garden.

Kajsa said...

How nice to see you back! I know what you mean about using a laptop, not my favorite things. Beautiful flowers and stitching!

Deb said...

Tulip for my Love is really pretty and the thread color is very nice. Hope that your new thread comes soon. And love your garden - I have a soft spot for clematis too. My DH just bought me some for Mother's Day and I couldn't wait to get them planted. Hope that your back is feeling better soon.

Glenna said...

Oh, I love your mom garden. Isn't amazing how stitching seems to be tied to having a working computer? Odd--but I feel now like the 2 go hand in hand. Best of luck on getting your floss--if it doesn't come, give a holler, and we can fix you up, I'll bet. Who do you order from mostly? SOMEBODY has got to open a needlework shop in your area--and I love it so much there, I volunteer!

The Scarlett House said...

I can't wait to see the rest of that design. I love it already. Thanks for sharing the garden pics. Looks like a wonderful place to call your own.

CindyMae said...

Your stitching is looking lovely, I do hope that your back recovers fully soon!!! Your mom garden is just gorgeous! What a beautiful area!!! Love all the flowers as well!

Tracy said...

Love the flowers!!

Chrissie said...

Melissa, your garden looks beautiful. I love those white bleeding hearts and the dainty pink clematis. That is a beautiful deep rich red you are using on Tulips for my Love. Hope your back is improving as bad backs can be so debilitating.

Chrissie