Saturday, May 30, 2009

Drunk with Sunshine & some goodies coming!

Hello my friends! Yes, I am drunk with sunshine (finally spring has almost morphed into summer!) and the garden is looking lovely. I have been busy with stitching 2 exchanges so no photos to show yet.

This is a quick catch up post. I had thought I would post more while I was off work but it turned out I did a lot of 'around the house' type of work - spring cleaning inside and out. As a result, I am having a giveaway next month - ha ha - yes, June is only a day or so away. Please come back next week as I need to put the 'bundle' together.

First, I want to thank Snip for this lovely award which she gave me well over a week ago. You know when you're dazzled with sunshine you just lose all sense of time!

Then I have to show some gardening shots as I have to say right now "Happiness is a Garden full of flowers".
These beautiful irises are from my MIL's garden. I got them probably 20 years ago and have given 'cuttings' to various people over the years. She is no longer with us but whenever I see these irises I am reminded of her. That's what I love about gardening - you can pass on plants to friends and they will form their own memories for the gardener. See that little pink peony in the lower right hand corner? It looks like this when opened...
What I love about this beauty, beyond the colour and the fragrance, is that it was free! It was in the same pot as another peony that we bought and this is the first year that these bloomed. What a lovely surprise!
I love these giant white poppies with purple centers.

So, how can one not be happy when surrounded by such lovely happy flowers? I really do feel very happy when I am puttering away in my garden. In the fall/winter, stitching is my solace.

While waiting for my giveaway, you can go and visit Yuko and she has some beautifully stitched goodies she is giving away.

One question I do want to ask - do you have any good books to recommend regarding traditional samplers? I would like to learn more about traditional samplers.

Thank you for stopping by and I hope you are enjoying some sushine as well!

14 comments:

Jane said...

Your flowers look glorious! Don't they bring a little bit of sunshine and happiness just looking at them. We have sunshine today but it's quite chilly outside.

Look forward to see what exchanges you come up with. I'm sure they'll be terrific!

Kellie said...

Melissa,
Your flowers are beautiful! I think the same way about flowers that adorn our gardens from other people. I smile every time I see my grandmother's yellow roses blooming beside my house, and it brings memories of summer Saturdays spent at her house. I think you said it very well. :)
I don't have a book to recommend, but I will be interested in seeing the responses that you get. I am off now to stitch on a BBD sampler that I am close to finishing. :) Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Old Yankee Stitcher said...

Just lovely, thank you for sharing. As an apartment dweller this is the time of year I wish for a house with a little garden.

KarenV said...

What lovely flowers Melissa! :) The weather has been lovely here over the last few days and our garden is blooming well too :)

mainely stitching said...

Oh, Melissa, your garden is breathtakingly beautiful!!!!!

Believe it or not, the word verification is "shine" - how perfect is that?! LOL!!!

Tammy said...

Beautiful flower photos! I don't have any advice on the sampler books sadly, but willl check in to see what's been recommended because I'm interested too!

Margaret said...

What beautiful flowers! Wow! I'm not one to recommend sampler books, sorry. If you come up with a good one, let us know!

The Scarlett House said...

Hi Melissa, lovely flowers. I enjoy gardening, but I'm not very good at it. It's always hit or miss as to what will survive our heat.
Two of my favorite sampler books are by Brenda Keyes of The Sampler Co., of course. You know how I love her designs. They are:
Alphabets Motifs & Borders and
The Sampler Motif Book. They might be oop, but maybe you could still find them.

Jennifer said...

Your flowers are beautiful! So uplifting indeed.
As far as books on samplers, I have also been interested and have seen several on www.thesilverneedle.com
(love the silver needle website) but I have not ordered them. The other place I have looked through is The Scarlett Letter website. They have some there too. Every time I want to order a book, I get distracted and spend the money ordering a new pattern instead! LOL One Day.......

Jennifer Dalenberg
http://www.feathersinthenest.blogspot.com

Jan said...

What ever so beautiful flowers! Enjoy them, Melissa and thanks for sharing their eye candy with us!

Patti said...

Your flowers are just glorious and major congrats on your award. Love Patti xx

Siobhan said...

Your flowers are wonderful!! You definitely have a green thumb! I'm looking forward to seeing your exchange stitching! ;)

Karoline said...

Your flowers are gorgeous

Kajsa said...

What pretty flowers! I love the irises.