Followers

Saturday, 18 April 2009

One year older, One year...wiser?

Thank you so much for all the lovely birthday greetings. It was an extra birthday treat to read your comments! Well, I was so *Blissed* out last weekend that my body was not happy with me that I wasn't doing my daily stretches. On Sunday afternoon, I got up to take a break from stitching and my lower back/hip went into spasms! Owwwwwwieeeee!

Body: I told you, missy, to stop messing about and start exercising. You're not getting any younger, you know, and if you won't take care of me, I'm going to HURT you real bad!

Me: OK-ok-OK-ok-OK! I will start doing strength exercises, and I will stretch daily, OK? Just stop sticking me with pins and needles!

We have a tentative truce, me and the Body. The Body isn't entirely trustful of my pledge even though I did not stitch the rest of the long weekend, nor all week. Yup. No stitching! I know, send in the Stitch-support team! I'm having withdrawal symptoms but every time I look at my stitching, the Body reminds me of the pain.

I have been doing those exercises and I do feel better (so don't worry) but I know I need to keep it up and step it up too and get stronger. Getting older means getting wiser, for most part, but I guess for the other part, I still haven't "gotten it" yet.

Even though I don't have any new stitching to show I can show you something. My two kitty cats turned three within the week of my birthday. I'm kinda sandwiched between the two of them. First comes Julius, who has the biggest personality and just a delight to be with. And he is, indeed, very Curious!
Curious as a Cat
by Birds of a Feather
Stitched in 2003

The real Mr Julius, April 2009

Next is Miss Daisy, who is a very shy cat but is great pals with Mr Julius. I took a class in stencilling probably 20 years ago, and I had decided to stencil this cat. I finished it as a wallhanging, and somehow all these years later, it suits Miss Daisy to a T!


Miss Daisy, April 2009
in one of her playful moods

I am stitching vicariously through your blogs. It's great fun, you should try it! I pretended I was Miss Nicole one day and was very pleased with my speedy needles! Another day I pretended to be Miss Jane and was impressed not only with my stitching but how my photos are so beautifully staged and presented! You know I can go on and on because you are all such wonderful stitchers!

Until next time, enjoy spring, or fall, or just life in general! Thank you for visiting me and saying hi! I'll try signing off, the Annemarie way.

Yours creakily,
Melissa

26 comments:

Rachel said...

Hear you about the body and exercise. Mine has a hate relationship with exercise at this time which kind of makes it hard to get in shape.

Love the project and cat pics

Rowyn said...

You have gorgeous kitties! I love your stitched kitty, and the wallhanging too - beautiful!

I hope your hip gets better soon.

Jane said...

You're too kind, Melissa! You know, you're doing a wonderful job with your stitching just being YOU. :)

Gorgeous pictures of your cats and lovely cat projects too. I can see the resemblance in both of them.

We're all getting older and it does make you think of your health in the future. Back problems can certainly put a stop or slow down your stitching - hopefully for not too long.

Brigitte said...

All the kitties are lovely, the stitched one, the stencilled one and the real ones.
I hope your exercises will keep you from having back pains in the future. And that stitching will soon be possible again.

Leah said...

You have the most beautiful cats! I hope your body is feeling better soon. :)

Tammy said...

Ooooh, I get you on the exercise. I need to do some myself. Both those kitty projects are great!

Jennifer said...

I can fully relate. I'm in a wrist splint now until I can see the doctor tomorrow. I had surgery on the ulnar nerve in one arm and now its causing problems again. I stitched last night with the splint on. I too have withdrawals if I go for a few days without stitching. I"m hoping I don't have surgery again.
I love you cats. The first one reminds me of my Thomas. You can see his picture in my blog
http://www.feathersinthenest.blogspot.com

Deb said...

I hear you about the body and exercise. My kids got Wii fit for Christmas and I've been trying to keep up with it. Sometimes it's like pulling a cat to water though. Love your cat finishes.

Patti said...

I love your Curious Cat stitching by Birds of a Feather and your cats are just so cute. Now if only your body would start listening to you it would be a definite step forward. Mine never does though - it has a mind of it's down and always but always does exactly what it wants to. Reminds me of my elder daughter actually. Lots of Love Patti xxx

Loraine said...

Very cute post. I'm in the love hate relationship with exercise as well. I want to lose 10 pounds. Shouldn't be too difficult, but my stitching chair is always calling my name, and that sounds a lot funner than walking or doing yoga. I'm trying not to let the "chair" win this week. I'm getting less stitching done, but my body will thank me for it later!
Love your cats and the projects too. So cute, and such a likeness, Wow.

mainely stitching said...

I swear, some sort of internal alarm went off in my body the day I turned 30 and it's been downhill from there! Wishing you wellness, and I hope you'll be able to return to PAIN-FREE stitching in the very near future!

Best belated bithday wishes!!!

Harmien said...

Love those cats, all four of them!! Hope you feel better soon!

Irene said...

My back talks to me the same way. Love the kitties !

valerie said...

Happy Birthday Melissa! Thanks for sharing the pictures of the kitties. Mr. Julius is all I imagine an orange tabby to be. I can commiserate on the body and exercise issue. I told the chiropractor I'd start doing my exercises. Um, that was 1.5 weeks ago and I haven't done it once yet! Uh-oh!

Siobhan said...

I can relate on the exercise. I still think of myself as a gawky 14year old, so it's doubly insulting when the body creaks and grumbles. Hope you're feeling better!

Love the cat finishes but most especially the pics of the cats. They both remind me of two beloved and much missed cats that we had, that now wait for us at the Rainbow Bridge. Give 'em a little cuddle for me!

Andrea said...

Aww, what adorable and perfect kitties! All of them, lol! It's amazing how much the stitched versions look like their counterparts!
Sorry to hear about your back! It's really h*ll when you can't stitch, I know!
Feel better soon!
xoxo

Анна - Зонт said...

All your cats are beautiful! :))

Nicole said...

Awe your kitties are so sweet! I want a cat so bad, but we can't have pets in the condo we are in. I can't wait to move! LOL! :) I know what you mean about the exercise thing - my treadmill looks at me disapprovingly everyday. I told my dh I was going to get on it today - have I? No? Will I? I'm not sure. LOL! Hope your back/hip is feeling better!

Dovilė said...

Happy Birthday Melissa!

CindyMae said...

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you and your kitties!!! Hope that you had a wonderful day! Love your kitties and the stitched ones as well!

Karoline said...

Your cats are gorgeous both the real and stitched ones.

I hope you feel better soon

Kellie said...

Melissa,
I hope your back and hip are feeling better. Daisy and Julius are absolutely precious! I love your stitching and stenciling as well. Here's hoping you feel better and are back to stitching. :)

Jan said...

Wish you hadn't reminded me, about exercising this aging body of mine! OH boy do I creak! LOL

Your kitty friends are just way pretty and know they must be a great source of love to you each day! Thanks for sharing their pics!

anna said...

Ohhhh... I missed your birthday, but here's my belated Wszystkiego Najlepszego wishes!!! Which day is it exactly? I try to remember it for friends... however I have to have my iphone remind me because most of my family and friends namesdays and birthdays are spread between April and June!
I see you got the mousie... hope you like it as much as I like mine!! Anna made you an identical one, she must have remembered :)
I owe you a longer reply offblog, I swear it will come very soon now!

Kajsa said...

The project and cats pictures are lovely.

I hope you feel better soon!

Lennu said...

Happy belated birthday dear Melissa!! Finally I came for a long and peaceful visit here, in this sunny morning. Oh I'm so sorry to hear about your back, I hope you'll be feeling better soon!

Thank you for sharing the photos of your kitty cats, happy belated birthday wishes to them too! They are so cute and I just LOVE the stitching you've done. I immediately decided that I will try to find a cat design looking like Manteli and stitch it :) There she is at the moment, sleeping on the bed beside my desk.

Have a very happy weekend!