Followers

Sunday, 12 April 2009

* B l i s s *

It's early Sunday morning and it's pouring outside. Can you hear it? But it just means it'll be a cozy stitching day! I've just finished stitching Miss Ellen Birdseye. Hooray! I needed a finish this weekend!
Ellen Birdseye
by The Goode Huswife

Those of you who have stitched this or have this chart will know that I have made colour changes. I added the red as an extra colour. After doing that, the design became much brighter but the trade-off was I left out the two stars on either side because I felt then it needed some space for the eyes to rest.

Here are the floss recommended with substitutions I put in.
DMC 3371 - same
DMC 611 - used GA Camomile
DMC 612 - same
DMC 931 - used GA Old Blue Paint
DMC 3012 - same
Added GA Old Red Paint

Thank you for all the birthday wishes. What a gift to have it on a 4 day weekend. I have been, still am, in Bliss-land! I spent Friday mostly stitching, reading, puttering around, and baking a Shortbread Pie, something I haven't done in ages. Yesterday my girlfriend and I went out for High Tea. Our birthdays are within a week of each other. There is this great place called The Secret Garden and it's such a girly treat to go there! I bought this great basket.


About two years ago I bought a larger version of this basket and it was very useful to lug things around. I am calling this one my Stash Basket! Speaking of stash, let me show you what I got recently.

They are mostly older charts and I love 'em all!

Thank you for your comments about the BOAF Friendship Sampler. Yes it would be great if designers would re-release their OOP charts digitally. And Suzanne, thanks for letting me know that you saw it at Em-li's. I had already checked there and she doesn't have it. A caution regarding what you see on Em-li's site - a lot of what shows up on the site are no longer available. I learned from bitter experience spending a couple of excited hours finding all these charts and probably emailed to ask about 20, and maybe 2 were available.

Oh, almost forgot, on my birthday I watched a movie. Sounds kind of wierd to be excited but I haven't watched one in so long as I always think do I want to stitch or watch a (new) movie? Sure I can 'watch' a movie I've seen before while I stitch but I can't do that on a first time around. Anyway, the movie is 'Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day'. What a lovely sweet movie. I just loved the 'period piece' aspect and the jazz music. Great fun.

I have found that I am definitely a one project gal. I haven't stitched This is the Day at all so will do that to catch up with Joanie. Hopefully I will have some photos in the next day or so to show you. I am on the last 2 CD's (of 26!) of listening to Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell. I will be glad to finish that one too. I think when I start something I just want to finish it - sooner than later!

I've read about 3 other books since the last time I talked about books but I will write about that another time. My goodness how blogging times flies. Hope you are enjoying your weekend. Thank you for stopping by!

34 comments:

Barb said...

3 things...

Happy Birthday!

Great stash! I'm putting a star on this post for further reference.

Last but not least. Great finish. I really like it and I think the red is perfect!

Margaret said...

beautiful finish! I love your colors.

Irene said...

Happy Birthday Melissa ! Love your Ellen Birdseye finish.

KarenV said...

I'm so glad you had a lovely birthday Melissa! The high tea sounds like a really fun way to celebrate :)

Love your finish, it's so pretty, congratulations :) The red really adds a nice touch to the design. I'm hoping for a couple of finishes myself either today or tomorrow - must. get. off. here. and. go. stitch! ;)

Leah said...

Ellen Birdseye looks fabulous...congratulations! I hope you birthday weekend continues to be blissful. :)

Patti said...

I love love love your Ellen Birdseye and I love how you changed the colors. When you said it was raining I thought you were here in the U.K. because it has been raining here. Oh well I stayed in anyway. Glad you had a lovely birthday. Lots of Love Patti xxx

Chrissie said...

Happy Birthday for last Thursday Melissa. Your Ellen Birdseye looks beautiful. What wonderful stash you got. I just love all those older charts.
Chrissie

Nicole said...

Great finish Melissa! I love your color changes! Happy Belated Birthday!

Sandra said...

Ellen Birdseye looks wondeful, that one is on my 'to do' list too, and it's great to see the changes you've made. Love the stash too - belated Happy Birthday.

Анна - Зонт said...

Beautiful finish! I love your colors, Lovely!
And Happy Birthday!

Snip said...

Thanks for coming by my blog! I really appreciate it and it is great to come across another Vancouver stitcher. Love your new stash and finish! Your birthday tea sounds lovely as I'm a devoted tea drinker myself.

Karoline said...

Happy Birthday Melissa.

Ellen is lovely, congratulations and your mouse is very cute :)

mainely stitching said...

Oh, wow, I just love everything in this post! :D Your finish is, of course, magnificent. And your basket - I'm just drooling! I have a couple of handmade Maine baskets that I adore, but yours is SO PRETTY. And your stash is also drool-worthy! Hope your week is off to a great start!

Alice said...

You are enabling here with Ellen Birdseye. Beautiful finish. Better late than never birthday wishes to you.
Alice

Dianne said...

Beautiful finish, and some great stash for new beautiful finishes :)

Brigitte said...

Happy belated Birthday!
Your finish is grogeous, I love this project. And I love your new stash haul, every single piece of it. It could have been me ordering them, lol. Enjoy everything!

staci said...

Congrats on another gorgeous finish! And your basket and new patterns are fabulous! Sounds like you had a very lovely birthday {hugs}

Jan said...

What a beautiful finish on Ellen Birdseye..it was one of my faves to stitch. Love the basket too and all of that stash, is wonderful! Sounds like your week has been fantastic, as it should have been!:)

:: wee bird :: said...

LOVE your finish.I really love the red you put in it.
and a lovey bit of stash too :D

CindyMae said...

That is such a gorgeous finish! Congrats!!! Love the basket and the new stash!!! I have not seen that movie, but now I got to check it out. I am like you, when I am able to sit down and watch a "new" movie, I get excited to!

Deb said...

I love your Ellen Birdseye and the changes that you made. I'm ready to start this one and was glad to see your conversions. I bought an old clock cabinet without the clock and thought it would look good in there, and the red adds such a kick of color! All your stash looks great too! What a haul. And also Happy Birthday - glad you had a good day!

Kajsa said...

Happy Belated Birthday!

What a lovely finish, the colors you used really makes the piece.

Suzanne said...

Happy Birthday Melissa!

Great finish on Ellen Birdseye and a fantastic stash haul.

caerbannog said...

Happy belated Birthday! I'm glad to hear that you had a special day. A high tea sounds like a wonderfully fun time.

Ellen Birdseye looks gorgeous! The color changes you made look great.

Jane said...

What a great finish, Melissa! You didn't take very long to complete it. I just love GA Old Red Paint (and Old Blue Paint for that matter). A wonderful adaptation.

So happy to hear you had an enjoyable birthday. Sounds like it was fun and well timed this year with the Easter break.

Your new (old) chart stash looks interesting. I love La D Da patterns, and the ones you found look terrific. More to flick through while you're having breakfast on a work morning. :)

Ta for the email. Just read it and it was interesting as always. Take care~

Wendy said...

Congrats on a lovely finish! Love your new stash basket ~ I hope its big enough ;-)

The Scarlett House said...

Ellen is wonderful. Love the color changes.

Kellie said...

Melissa,
Congratulations on your finish!! Ellen Birdseye is gorgeous! I love the color changes. I am going to have to make a note of your conversion for when I stitch this one. I love the red. :) Glad your birthday was wonderful. It is nice to be able to celebrate during a four day holiday. Love your new stash. You introduce me to a lot of charts that I am not familiar with and have not seen before. :)
Enjoy the rest of your week!

Annemarie said...

Oh, I'm so sorry I couldn't wish you a happy birthday on the day itself, so a happy belated birthday to you, Melissa!

I can well believe you're still experiencing some serious bliss, what with all the new old charts you got!

Congrats on finishing Ellen Birdseye! I tea-dyed my fabric too dark and had to use darker colours for mine :o)

Michele said...

sounds like you had a wonderful birthday! Love the basket :) and the stitching mouse you bought is adorable!

congrats on the finish too! I love it :)

Bine said...

A Happy belated Birthday to you. :) Ellen Birseye looks gorgeous and I love the color changes you made. Thanks so much for posting them! The stash and stashbasket are great, too.

BeckySC said...

Sorry I missed wishing you a Happy Birthday! I hope it was a wonderful day for you :)

BEEutiful finish :) and what GREAT stash....shhhhh, don't tell anyone, but I got more stash yesterday....shhhh :) :) :)

linenstitcher2 said...

Your color choices for "Ellen Birdseye" are fantastic! Very nice finish!! Oh, and may I say that your taste in stash is impeccable!! Lots of gorgeous patterns to stitch.

Happy belated birthday!!

Carol R said...

Happy Birthday Melissa!

Pretty finish of Ellen Birdseye and what a great basket!