Followers

Friday, 6 March 2009

Tea for Two!

I had such a good day today. There were a lot of "little" things that went right and they all came together to make it a Great day! I really needed this!

OK, first, I heard from Joanie that my PS exchange arrived. I was so glad it arrived before the weekend. That's 2 weeks from Vancouver to New York - crazy, huh? Never mind, here's the unveiling!
The flirty side
The shy side

The design was taken from Prairie Schooler's W for Welcome . I used some Crescent floss instead of DMC. The colours actually look brighter in real life. I really love this one and will have to stitch one for myself one day.

Joanie said she loves it which of course makes me very happy. It's funny, when I was first given Joanie's name and I went to visit her blog, I was just amazed not only at how similar our tastes were, but also we "sounded" similar. It was really weird, but in a nice way! Anyway, we've struck up a nice conversation via email and will probably keep in touch now, and maybe even do a SAL together. Isn't that wonderful?

Another little wonder today has to be told in a little story. I found this wonderful new blog Days of a Sampler Lover recently, but like all new blogs on Blogger the comments option (default) is such that some of us can't comment. (I know you've heard this before, hang in there with me please.) I was fortunately able to email the blog owner Margaret as I'd wanted to ask about the design on her blog banner. At the same time, I mentioned to her about not being able to leave comments. She said she's had others say the same thing and she didn't know why. Ah-ha! So, I gave the instructions to Margaret on changing the comments option and it worked! (Thank you Margaret!) I was happy that what I thought was a solution worked, and she was happy because the solution works for her as well! Two happy people solving one shared problem. Easily. You gotta love it!

Now I must get on the soapbox for a bit. Don't worry. No rant. So, here I go.

Soapbox - the Economy. (really, no rant)

So, lately, I have been reading on various blogs of people losing jobs, or their spouse losing jobs, or fear of losing jobs. There is a lot of worry abound which I can fully understand as I'm right there with you. However, let me share my experience in the hopes that it may help.

Remember the dot-com bust that happened around 2001, then dragged on by the tragedy of 9/11? We were out of work for 2 years. Yes, you heard right. I wont' go into details. Suffice to say we survived. You find creative ways to manage if you want to survive it in a positive way - we overhauled our garden, we went on a family road trip, we spent more time with relatives, we volunteered, etc. In other words, we had time and not money but hey, what a precious commodity Time is!

Luckily we did not have a big expense life style so cutting back was not as painful as it might be otherwise. On top of the usual cook and bake from scratch, I learned to bake bread which turned not only to be fun but delicious. The Library was and still is the biggest bargain us taxpayers have! It is a wonderful resource.

I remembered telling someone at the time we didn't eat out, not even a Starbucks. She asked "not even order in a pizza?" Oh please, why would I spend $20 on a pizza? I made the pizza for much less. Some people had a tough time with the concept because they had never experienced being out of work with no hope of getting work in the short term!

I'm on the soapbox just to say "please take care of your health". You will survive this. No, life will likely not be the same, but when is life not ever changing? Health is precious and please don't let the stress cause you illness.

I write this post also for myself, so I can look back on it one day. You see, I freelance. I work on a contract to contract basis. I know my contract will end the end of this year, if they don't cancel it sooner. I know I will have to find work after. How will things be? I don't know. One thing I do know is that I/we will survive it.

So, please take care of yourselves. That's it. Off the soapbox I go.

We've had a beautiful spring-like day here. DH was out in the garden, cutting down the apple tree. Before anybody gets upset, it was an old tree and it was time for it to be recycled. This will allow more space for the italian plum tree beside it (much yummier) and more sun for other plants. It's lovely to see the little bulbs peeking out now. The snowdrops are finishing and the crocuses are starting to come up!

Thank you for all the great comments about your shopping preferences. There were ones I haven't shopped at before and will certainly give them a try. Umm - actually I did today...123 Stitch not only has a sale on Primitive Needle, but also Carriage House Samplings. Yeah, there's no hope for me, as far as stash shopping goes.

Have a great weekend and thanks for stopping by!

26 comments:

Margaret said...

There you are, Melissa! lol! I thought I followed your blog but was too shy to say! :D Thanks again for all your help straightening out my comments today! It was an adventure, and so fun to connect with you! I love that PS exchange -- gorgeous!

Missy Ann said...

Oh I like what you did with PS pinkeep. Is that just two lengths of ribbon knotted at the top? Love it.

Glenna said...

I think your words about the job thing/economy thing are wise. Today 120 of my co-workers were laid off, and although I'm hoping most of the time to hold onto my job, I know that we'd be ok if I got laid off. In fact, I was thinking that if I were laid off I could speed up my classes, and spend more time in my garden this spring and exercise more, and especially--STITCH MORE! I'm so glad the lovely exchange piece arrived safely.

linenstitcher2 said...

Melissa, I have had problems posting comments on a handful of blogs, and usually I just give up. Thanks for helping to solve this problem. You've helped a lot of us without probably realizing it.

Your PS finish is **lovely**! Very elegant with nice details!

Linda said...

Difficult times can lead to really new ways to live life in a simpler way. It's nice to hear how you and your family did it. Do you read the blog of Bedlam Farm? He is really positive about how living simpler can be a good thing.

caerbannog said...

That pinkeep is so cute! You did a lovely job.

And your soapbox speech was spot on too.

KarenV said...

What a lovely pinkeep! It turned out beautifully and I love the way you did the ribbon at the top :)

Aha, you gave 123Stitch a try! ;) Can't wait to see what you bought. Have a great weekend!

cathymk said...

What a beautiful exchange! Just gorgeous!

Rowyn said...

A beautiful PS exchange!

Siobhan said...

Melissa, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!! Margaret sent me an e-mail with your instructions on how to fix the comment thing. I tried a bunch of different things to no avail and apparently it still didn't work... now, thanks to you & Margaret, it does. Woo! Thanks a million.

Love the PS exchanges. Both are wonderful!

I'm late to the favorite LNS topic but I've been ordering from Lois at Elegant Stitch & Drema at Needlecraft Corner for 10+ years and am always happy with their service. Plus they both have brick and mortar shops, which I like to support when the economy is such as it is.

Анна - Зонт said...

A beautiful work! I love it!

Brigitte said...

OMG, your Ps exchange piece is gorgeous! I love your pattern choice and I love your finishing. Very beautiful.
I have also ordered from 123Stitch and was very happy with it.

mainely stitching said...

That's a gorgeous exchange you created!!

Terri(TerriBoog) said...

Melissa, thanks so much for visiting my blog. Your note to Margaret helped more than just her, it helped Siobhan and me too because Margaret emailed us. I didn't even know that some people couldn't leave comments. Thank you for helping us fix that. Your PS piece is awesome - love it! I'll email you about Noah's Garden.
I am now following your blog! Whooo Hoooo!

Julianne said...

Melissa,

Beautiful job on your PS exchange. I really like the CC's that you used. You've got a great eye for color!

123 Stitch is excellent! I order most of my stash from them.

bianca said...

Very nice cross stitch. I like it
Greatings from germany.
Bianca

Wendy said...

Great job on the PS pinkeep! Lucky lucky Joanie to have received it!

Its tough learning how to economize and scale back but we do manage to survive. For us, it was recession years in the 90's that taught us (and taught me that homemade pizza was delicious ;P. Although I would hate to go back to those times, I know we could manage too.

Lisa said...

Beautiful PS design you stitched.
And lovely wise words you shared about the economy and job losses. We are also experiencing job losses here in Oz with alot of the miners being cut which is a huge industry in our North.

Dovilė said...

very cute and delicate pinkeep:)

Chrissie said...

That is a lovely pinkeep. Well done:)
Chrissie

Leah said...

Tea for Two is beautiful!!

I will be losing my job this summer when my family and I move to another province. It's a little concerning, but I was a SAHM & student for ten years, so my family and I are used to living on one income. We'll manage, but sadly, my stash buying frenzy will soon be coming to an end. ;)

Natasha said...

I am really enjoying finding new blogs to read. I love your PS design you stitched. I am in the current round ond look forward to knowing who my partner is.

Take Care
Natasha

Kellie said...

I love your project Melissa. It is gorgeous. Glad to hear that you had such a happy day. I love days like those.

The Scarlett House said...

Excellent post, Melissa. We should all think positively like you.

Carin said...

I found your blog through Siobhan's blog. Lovely pinkeep and other projects.
I will be back to see your beautiful work.

Lennu said...

Oh Melissa, thank you for your posts and blog, reading several posts today really brightened up my day :) You've chosen right words as always :)

Your stitching is beautiful and I enjoyed seeing everything you've done recently. Your PS exchange is perfect and wonderful! Also the one you received is very pretty. Have a very happy Sunday and happy new week!