Followers

Tuesday, 24 March 2009

Lovely Needlebook!

Yesterday there was a bug going around the office. Honestly it was so wierd like you could see this bug flying around biting people on their necks and people dropping off like flies. (Oh wait, I've been reading too many things on blogs about Twilight, Edward, and all that!) But yeah, the flu bug was going around and by noon I was seriously exhausted.

Today I stayed home feeling like I've been through the wringer. Then - Lo & Behold, the postman cometh with a lovely looking package! It's my HOE Winter Quaker Exchange! Ooooh, lookee here! Look at this beautiful Needlebook! (and of course those beautifully coordinated goodies!)






This beautiful package came from Marie. Thank you so much Marie! it is beautifully stitched and finished. This is my first Needlebook ever and I love it! It will serve as my prototype so I can feel more confident about making a needlebook myself.

That just lifted my spirits to no end. Although I still crashed for a couple of hours in the afternoon before I could even feel sensible.

I am amazed at the generosity of stitchers. I think "what goes around comes around" really holds true. Both Nicole and Karen offered me their Earth Sampler. Thank you both! Because Nicole has already finished stitching hers, I took up her offer. I feel very blessed and thankful.

I love your comments on the last post, particularly about the Vikki Clayton silks and linens. I would say in general people are happy with the silks in that they are well priced. However, one cautionary note is that dye lots can vary greatly sometimes so make sure you buy enough for your project.

As to linen, the ones who like them love them. It's true that it's just your personal preference. Me - I love the softness of Lakeside Linens and Birds of a Feather. While I will stitch with R&R they are not my first choice. I've never stitched on Picture this Plus, nor Silkweaver. Recently I bought Tin Roof from Weeks and that was new for me. I'll see how I feel about it once I stitch with it. Right now it feels very soft and light and while nice to the touch, not sure how it'll feel to stitch with.

Oh, this is all so much fun! Lots of new discoveries for me.

By the way, while I'm here. I will share some recent books, both audio and the tactile kind, that I have enjoyed. On the audio front, I seemed to be on a kids stories kick. First was Inkheart read by the wonderful Lynn Redgrave. It was a bit slow at times but it was a good 'listen'. Then I listened to The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman and read by him as well.

I {heart} Neil Gaiman as an author. He writes adult books as well as children's books. He writes fantasy, ghost stories, fairy tales. Anyway, it turned out he's a wonderful narrator as well. I really loved listening to the Graveyard Book. At the end he really surprised me by the sentimental bits.

On the reading front - Little Bee by Chris Cleave is my first favourite read of the year. It is well written and it's just a book that will stay with you. It'll hurt, it'll make you think, and it'll make you smile. I myself admire such writing.

On the other hand, after reading a 'heavy' book, I need to counter that with something light but not so light that it will give me a stomach ache. Last year, I discovered Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen and I thought it was a delightful fairy-tale like story. So, her latest, The Sugar Queen was a good pick-me-up. Then I plunged into A Darker Domain by Val McDermid. She is a wonderful Scottish writer of the mystery/crime novel genre.

I don't think I can ever have a short post, can I?

Thank you for stopping by. I love visiting your blogs too and seeing all your wonderful stitches, photos of wherever you are, and of course your stories of the day! Back to the couch!

31 comments:

At the Honeysuckle Tree said...

Gorgeous stitching exchange - wow! So dainty, elegant and all yours, lucky girlie, you!

I'll look into that book - sounds good.

Tanya

BeckySC said...

OOOH, what a wonderful exchange to receive :) It's gorgeous :)

Cathy B said...

Melissa, the needlebook that Marie stitched and finished for you is lovely. Your pinkeep for Edda (in a previous post) is great too! Wonderful exchanges both sent and received!

Suzanne said...

I hope you feel better soon. What a beautiful needlebook, with such great finishing. Lucky girl!

packey said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Betty

http://laptopprocessor.info

Irene said...

Lovely needlebook ! Hope you feel better soon.

Theresa said...

Wow!!! Such a beautiful needlebook!!!!

Анна - Зонт said...

Beautiful finish! I love this needlbook!

kvstitching said...

That's a gorgeous exchange, lucky you! I love the colour scheme, very pretty.

Glad you got a copy of ES - I really must get back to mine, it's a fun stitch.

I know you're not asking for more fabric recommendations ;) but PTP linen is fabulous to stitch on. I'm now collecting some of the more neutral shades in a FOTM program, the colours are just gorgeous! Countrystitch, based in NZ is also great. Catherine is lovely to work with and uses a Zweigart fabric base, so I think you'd like them.

Feel better soon!

Siobhan said...

Ooh, what a fabulous exchange! Lucky you. :)

Thanks for the book recommendations. I'm particularly interested in Little Bee so will have to look for that.

As kvstitching said, I know you're not looking for fabric recommendations, but I second her vote for Picture This Plus linens. Primitive Needle Lisa uses them a lot for her designs and they are wonderful to work on. Great for repros, too. If you like using Lakeside, you'll like PTP because they use a Zweigart base. Silkweavers does, too.

I hope you're feeling better soon!

Vonna said...

Isn't it nice when what goes a round comes around. Nicole and Karen are two wonderfully nice ladies.

I personally love Silkweaver and Weeks linens...RR is ok. I just ordered a yard of Lakeside Vintage Exemplar so I'll see I guess :) and Picture this Plus is nice to work on too...I'm a fabric floozy, I guess :)

mainely stitching said...

What a great exchange!

I love Lakeside Linens, too, but they are next to impossible to get over here. Shipping is such a PITA.

I also love Neil Gaiman. He's amazing.

Jane said...

What a lovely package to receive in the mail. I hope that dreaded bug doesn't stay around too long. Get better soon!

Margaret said...

Melissa, I hope you aren't coming down with that bug! What a beautiful piece that you received in the mail. And thanks for the book reviews. I was wondering if the Graveyard Book was any good.

Deb said...

Such a beautiful needlebook! What a lucky girl you are!!! Hope you're feeling better soon.

Jan said...

GORGEOUS exchange piece!!! LUcky you, Melissa! I sure hope that you are feeling MUCH better today!

staci said...

That needlebook is Gorgeous!!! Hope you are feeling better :)

Glenna said...

It's amazing how a nice mail day can pick us back up off the floor! Hoping you feel better. And the BOAF design turned out beautifully!

Glenna said...

Aaak--I meant that the BBD turned out beautifully (I always confuse them!)

Tammy said...

What a lovely exchange!! I sure enjoy your blog. I hope you get feeling well very quickly.

Wendy said...

Feel better soon, Melissa :-D

:: wee bird :: said...

oh honey hope you feel better real soon.
that exchange is beautiful

Melissa said...

The piece you received is just awesome! How pretty it is. I know that you'll cherish it.

caerbannog said...

That's a beautiful needlebook! What a lovely exchange.

I really like Neil Gaiman's books as well. He's a great writer.

Cheryl said...

What a beautiful exchange gift you received!
Hope you feel better

The Scarlett House said...

Nothing like a stitchy delivery to perk you right up. Hope you're better soon.

Michele said...

what a lovely needlebook! and wonderful exchange!

Brigitte said...

Marie's needlebook for you is such a beauty. And good that her exchnage package arrived just when you weren't feeling well. I love these coincidences.
Feel better soon and enjoy your wonderful exchange goodies.

Szentpyr said...

Yes, it's so lovely:)) and soft and beautiful and I love it!

Snip said...

What a lovely needlebook. I love your blog and always find something inspiring!

disa said...

AV,無碼,a片免費看,自拍貼圖,伊莉,微風論壇,成人聊天室,成人電影,成人文學,成人貼圖區,成人網站,一葉情貼圖片區,色情漫畫,言情小說,情色論壇,臺灣情色網,色情影片,色情,成人影城,080視訊聊天室,a片,A漫,h漫,麗的色遊戲,同志色教館,AV女優,SEX,咆哮小老鼠,85cc免費影片,正妹牆,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,情色小說,aio,成人,微風成人,做愛,成人貼圖,18成人,嘟嘟成人網,aio交友愛情館,情色文學,色情小說,色情網站,情色,A片下載,嘟嘟情人色網,成人影片,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人漫畫,視訊聊天室,性愛