Followers

Saturday, 21 February 2009

Stressed is Desserts spelled backwards

Isn't that wierd? Stressed is Desserts spelled backwards. Who'd dreamt that up? Well, I have been work-stressed but I just kept at my stitching and now I bring you some desserts!

First, I started Friendship Gathering last weekend. It's from Blackbird's book "A Fine Collection". The reason I bought the book many years ago is precisely because of this design on its cover. Finally I had all the right materials to start stitching last weekend. Here's a progress shot.



I love the colours and I haven't stitched flowers for awhile so it was fun. Those big flowers, though, take awhile to do because of the colour changes but it was well worth it.

Here are three recently framed pieces.


The first is a modification of BOAF's Sally Spencer. I had replaced the alphabet with this little tune. It was an experiment and I wasn't sure about all the empty space I left behind. Back in December, I had a friend visiting from New Zealand who is studying design. I asked her advice on the empty space. She said if I filled the empty space and give it more 'structure' I would lose the playfulness of the design. The words seem to bounce around the middle of the picture like in a snow globe. I was so glad I asked her advice and I was really intrigued by all the elements of Design - I would love to take some Art courses!

Next is my SB's Family Sampler.


Close - up of the frame

This has lots of memories with it already because that was when I had all the cancer news. There are mistakes in it I didn't fix because (1) I was too worn out, and (2) I felt it was indicative of life - not perfect yet it can be beautiful and definitely rewarding!

Lastly, this is Primitive Needle's Of Female Arts. I love the frame that my framer suggested. It just seemed perfect for it.


Oh, I did get my camera on Valentine's Day and I'm so happy with it. It's a Canon Powershot A2000 IS. I had canvassed a few people and Canon seemed to be a popular brand. There are lots for me to still learn about taking pictures and I can tell this is a much better camera than my old one. Now I just have to learn to be a better photographer and learn how to better manipulate the images!

I have been enjoying some audio books. First, is my favourite book ' The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society'.
I have read the book 3 times. I have given it as Christmas gifts. When the audio book was available at the library, I had to listen to it. It's just wonderfully done by a group of actors. Now, my wish is for this to be made into a superb film, with a wonderful ensemble cast much like Robert Altman did with Gosford Park. I would dearly love that!

Next is 'Never let me Go' by Kazuo Ishiguro, who also wrote "Remains of the Day". The audio book was read by Rosalind Landor (if I remember it correctly) and it's wonderfully read. Currently I am reading 'Black Swan Green' by David Mitchell. It is read by Kirby Heyborne and he is wonderful doing all the different characters in the story. Both of these books I probably wouldn't have read myself - they are quite different - but I am thoroughly enjoying being read to!

I have completed finishing on my Prairie Schooler exchange piece. It's passed the "I Love It" test. I really wanted to keep it but *sigh* off it has gone to its new home. Hopefully my partner will love it as well. It will probably be a couple of weeks before I can show any photos.

I am really looking forward to my next project which I have kitted out. The whole works arrived this past week (after what seems like a terminally long wait!) and I'm keen to start it. But first, I have to finish Friendship Gathering and I have to stitch for a Winter Quaker exchange next. (You'll just have to wait a little longer what the new project is!)

So, what have you bought from the Nashville releases? I have bought 'a few' things. Here are couple of designs from the Good Huswife that I loved.


Home Sweet Home
by Good Huswife
(I love that little chubby bird!!!)

Ida Mae Crowe
by Good Huswife

That's one funky lady bird. I can see myself traipsing through the flowers one day, when I'm retired, maye in the same polka dotted dress!

Thank you to everyone for your comments about getting the wrinkles out of linen. Even those of you who had the same questions as I did - I thank you because I didn't feel like it was just me! I will try them out and let you know in a future post.

Remember my pouting over not being able to comment? It's getting worse and I can't comment as I used to. So, here's a shout-out (love that expression from Siobhan) to Kellie - I've been enjoying the rotation that you've been doing and seeing all that lovely progress even though I can't tell you so directly!

So, it's the end of a long catch-up post on a Sunday afternoon. I think I'll have a nap before zipping into my sequined evening gown for the Academy Awards tonight...just kidding of course...sequins are so last year! ;-)

Have a great week. Thanks for visiting. I can't believe it's the last week of February already!

20 comments:

Irene said...

I think your Zippity looks great, more stitching would have made it look too busy. Love the flowers, at one time that was all I stitched. Oh my the Nashville releases, far too many like-able ones for me, will have to wait them out and see which ones I do get.

Suzanne said...

If you stressed, does that mean you need to eat lots of desserts to counteract the stress???

I just love your stitching. Zippity Do Dah looks fantastic. It has a very well balanced look to it. I think you have that special artistic talent. I love the framed pieces, especially the frame for the family sampler. I love the little roses detail.

I don't always fix my mistakes either and I think that is what makes them individual and sometimes it's just too much hard work.

I am so tempted by the Nashville releases, epecially the 15 sided biscornu by Just Nan and the charm pins. I also like the Quaker medallion by CHS. I just have to wait till the dollar is a little stronger and then they are mine.

Kellie said...

Melissa,
I love Friendship Gathering. It is gorgeous! And your framed pieces are beautiful as well. I can't wait to see what your net project is going to be. Aren't those Goode Huswife designs great? The Home Sweet Home caught my eye immediately, and the more I see Ida the more I like her. :) Thanks for the shout out. I remembered you said something in an earlier post about the settings in blogger so I found that post and changed my settings. Hopefully you will be able to leave me a comment now when you want to. :)

Lei B. said...

I love the work you did on the Zippity Do Dah design. It is quite lovely and you did an incredible job with the word placement. Family Sampler is just beautiful, but I think the picture you posted of Home Sweet Home by Good Huswife is adorable. I have to add that to my wish list now.

You have gotten me interested in The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society audiobook. I listen to books a lot because of long comute times everyday and I think I will have to hunt this one down now. Thanks for the info. Take care.

Szentpyr said...

Wonderful things!!! Gratulation! I love your style...

Brigitte said...

Friendship Gathering is a wonderful piece. I kitted it up quite some time ago but havne't started stitching it yet.
Your framed pieces look terrific. It's good that you left Zippity just as it is, it's gorgeous. Oh, and the two Goode Huswife charts are so sweet. I love birds very much and the two are on my wishlist now, lol.
I also read Never Let Me Go last year or so. It was a very good read but left me with very strange feelings.

KarenV said...

Your framed pieces look gorgeous Melissa! I love the way Of Female Arts turned out, but they all look wonderful.

Nice new WIP too, the colours are very pretty!

Jane said...

Wow, what a busy bee you've been, Melissa! Where to start?

Firstly Friendship Gathering looks lovely and what a lot of work you've already done on it. It's looking great!

Secondly, you must be so pleased with your framed pieces? The BOAF one is so funky looking. The frame goes so well with it and the changes you made look terrific. Love it! I bet you're glad you got the Family Sampler mats? How amazing does this look? I'd be over the moon with that one. :) All your framed pieces look fantastic.

Have fun with your new camera, and you know what Nashville releases I like (must send you another email too!). Take care..

Lisa said...

I love that "Home Sweet Home" design, just the cutest, might have to invest in that one.

Nicole said...

I love your progress on A Fine Collection. It's beautiful! I also love all your framed pieces! They look wonderful! Love the mats for Family Sampler! I'm waiting until this weekend to get some of the new things. I have my eye on Blackbird Designs "A Small Token" and Primitive Needle's "ABC Hornbook."

Katrina said...

Love you BOAF piece, the changes are very nice! All your framing and WIPs are wonderful. Seeing the BBD piece makes me want to get my copy of the book out and stitch it too.

I got several of the Primitive Needle pieces, actually I think I got all of her new pieces, and all the Blackbird design charts and I am probably going order the Spotted Pony piece from CHS.

:: wee bird :: said...

wow your samplers look awesome framed!
I should really get that blackbird book,does it have a lot of charts in it? The flower one you are doing looks amazing

staci said...

Every time I visit your blog, I want to stitch what you've stitched LOL!!!

All your framed pieces are beautiful...your walls must be filled with lovely things!

Terri(TerriBoog) said...

Great stitching and beautiful finishes. Love your Sally Spencer adaptation and I've made a note of the books - I love BOT to listen to going to and from work.

Peace,
Terri

linenstitcher2 said...

Well, I for one am THRILLED that you got a new camera, because I'm loving all of these fabulous stitchy pictures. I'm seriously impressed by the whole lot of them!!

Bee.You.Tee.Full!

Linda said...

I loved The Guernsey Literary Club. Such a good read.

mainely stitching said...

Well, it's obvious to me that it's time to break out the brownies, if desserts = stressed!! Actually, that would've been true on Friday, but I'm not actually stressed anymore. LOL.

Great choices for new stash. I went with Primitive Needle but I will catch up on The Goode Huswife charts in the future. ;D

LOVE your framing. Your adaptation of the BOAF design is, imho, better than the original!

Annemarie said...

Ooooh, your designer friend was SO right, Melissa. Your sampler is very you and very gorgeous. So is your BBD piece. I don't think I've ever seen this one being stitched up, so I'm eagerly following your progress.
Your framed pieces are all stunning, esp. the SB one!
It seems like you and I found the same things to drool over, because I ordered the exact same charts :o)

Hope you get a lot of more desserts than stressed moments from now on!

Karoline said...

All your framing looks gorgeous, congratulations.

Friendship gathering is looking lovely, great start

anna said...

Thanks for visiting, Melissa!! I've added you to my newsgator list. I see you got the Goode Huswife charts... I think I'll have to wait till May, my birthday month, so I can get them cheaper from the ONSes. The dollar is so high nowadays against the zloty, almost the double comparing to earlier last year. And, I would like to do the 3 goode huswife (also the other bird with the girl chart) in part with the original silks recommanded... Stoopid me, I ordered other Nashville charts and now I regret I didn't take those instead!
I answered your question about the mouse on my blog...
Lovely stiching!!