Followers

Sunday, 1 February 2009

February - Love & Hope

I'm more than ready for February. January was a really unsettling month for me and I'll tell you why in a minute. I'm trying to start off the month with the theme of Love and Hope. On that note, I want to show you a lovely design exclusive to the Stacy Nash Group.
Isn't it beautiful? My friend Jane has written up more about this so you can find more photos, details on her post here. I really like Stacy's designs and now have quite a few in my stash. This is the year to finally stitch a few of her designs all in a go!

In January, I finished the HOE Valentine Exchange (probably still en route to my exchange partner) and SB's Family Sampler. I really struggled with doing the last bit of stitching on this one as I was having problems seeing the light cream floss against the light linen and doing special stitches at the same time. After frogging a few times I told myself not to risk any hurt to the sampler and just finish it up the best I can.

Family Sampler
by Shepherd's Bush

Please forgive me for the less than stellar photo. A new camera is on my wish list for my birthday coming up in the spring.

Oh, and the winner of the giveaway of the BBD Liberty House chart is Sue. Congratulations!

Now, I will tell you what's been unsettling me in January - it's the big C. Cancer. I couldn't believe that in one month, amongst 5 of us who have worked together at various times over the years, we have relatives or friends who have been diagnosed with cancer - all different types. The scariest, to me, is that they are all women (6), of all ages. This week, it hit home even more because my elderly aunt (92) has been diagnosed with it. She has been 'not well' for quite sometime but the diagnosis was delivered last week.

I don't know what to say - "Unsettled" may be the only word I can use. At the end of the day, what scares me the most, selfishly, is that this could happen to me. I was just out for a walk with a couple of women friends this morning and we talked about this. We all said, soberly, that we have to focus on our health more!

I've been travelling the blogosphere far too much since I returned from my business trip. I really need the solace of my stitching now so will probably stay offline for a bit - who knows if this addict can do it?!!! I will post when I hear from my Valentine Exchange partner that she has received her package (hope she likes it!).

Hey, to focus on more positive things - Nashville Market is coming! I've already seen new designs I want to stitch. Here is one that I am eyeing. It looks so bouncy and happy!
Earth Sampler
Primitive Needle

You can see more wonderful Primitive Needle designs here.

I saw snowdrops yesterday! I love them. They are so delicate and yet so strong to emerge from the depths of winter and herald the hope of Spring just around the corner.

Thank you for stopping by and thank you, as always, for your comments. Till next time, stay healthy and happy!

18 comments:

kellieps3 said...

Melissa, I am sorry to hear that your aunt is sick. It is always unsettling when we hear that someone we care about has cancer, and I think it is natural to think "what if..."

I love the Stacy Nash design and the Primitive Needle design as well. :) And Family Sampler is beautiful. Congratulations on your finish.

Take comfort in your stitching and I hope you won't stay away from the "blogosphere" for long. :)

Melissa said...

I'm sorry to hear about your aunt. Take it from someone who has heard that in regards to themselves, unsettled is the perfect description.

Your Family Sampler is just wonderful. Absolutely beautiful.

Don't stay away too long. Take care!

valerie said...

Sorry to hear that so many around you are ill. Remember that as we get older, we have to take care of ourselves better. It's harder since the older we get, the busier we become. I absolutely love your family sampler. It came out beautiful!

Karoline said...

I'm sorry to hear about your Aunt sounds like spending more time stitching would be a good plan. Family Sampler is gorgeous, congratulations

mainely stitching said...

I'm really sorry to hear about the C word making the rounds among your family and friends. I hope all will turn out well for your aunt. It is scary, isn't it?

That PN design is the first Nashville release I've seen that's really tempting. ;)

KarenV said...

I am sorry to hear about your aunt, Melissa. The C word is always scary and unsettling, but especially when it applies to a relative.

I love your Family Sampler, it's so pretty! Love that Stacy Nash design too, it's right up my street.

Enjoy some quality stitching time!

Vonna said...

The family sampler is stunning! Congratulations! Stacy Nash has a lot of lovely little pretties, that I would love to stitch someday too! This heart has caught my eye on more than one occassion!

Cancer is a hateful, hurtful disease, working in the field where you see the diagnosis, sometimes even have hand making the diagnosis, and having that I have had two family members (grandmother and aunt) pass from cancer makes me hurt about it even more. But look at it this way....it has been around for as long as life has been around. In not too many years past, people would just get sick and pass. Today we have better health care and instrumentation that helps us to find it, so every person has a fighting chance. God forbid if I ever have to face it, I will fight to the end! I know you're a friend to all, so you must think positively for them and be a face of hope for them so they can continue their battle. BIG HUGS I'll keep your friends in my prayers, as I do all those facing disease each day.

Jane said...

Melissa, congrats on such a wonderful achievement in finishing Family Sampler! It looks terrific and you must be so pleased with it.

I'm sorry to hear about the illnesses surrounding your family and friends. It can certainly be unsettling and makes you think about your own health a bit more. Stitching is a great form of comfort during these hard times.

Take care and will 'chat' again soon. :)

Dovilė said...

Your Family Sampler is just wonderful.
Take care!

Wendy said...

I love the new Stacy Nash design and the Primitive Needle. I know with Nashville Market coming up, I'll be hurting my wallet some.

So sorry to hear about your aunty's illness. The C-word is very scary...but on the flip side, there are so many C-survivors out there today, and more and more all the time find ways to beat it.

Patti said...

Melissa, I am so sorry to hear about your Aunt and friends. I had this at the latter part of last year with my brother and it is a little bit more than unnerving that's for sure. It used to be such a scary word that nobody ever heard it mentioned for fear you could catch it. I don't think it's quite so scary now because there have been such leaps and bounds in curing this dreadful illness.

On the upside I love the Stacy Nash design and love most of her designs anyway. And SB has always been one of my favorites and your finished Family Sampler is just gorgeous so congrats on the finish.

Please don't stay away from blogland too long because we would all miss you terribly but do take comfort in your stitching. Lots of Love Patti xxx

Siobhan said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your aunt. I hear you on the 'what about me' worrying. I used to think I am invincible. I hit 40 and now I fear every ache.

Congratulations on your Family Sampler finish! YGG! It's beautiful.

The SNash design is too cute, but I am definitely partial to Lisa's design! I can't wait to stitch that. Shoot, I can't wait to stitch everything she is coming out with!

I can relate to the need for the comfort of your needle and the soothing rhythm of the stitches. I hope you don't stay away too long!

:: wee bird :: said...

I agree us women have to make sure we keep ourselves healthier.We get too busy taking care of everything else.
I feel so bad for your Auntie and for you.I would be upset if it was my beloved aunt..how about stitching her up a little something? Might help.
Thank you for the chart.Don't be long away from your blog you need us and we need you!

Suzanne said...

Your family sampler look magnificent.

I am sorry to hear about your aunt. I can't even begin to count how many relatives and close family friends have been diagnosed with cancer in the last few years, it's really quite scary.

Annemarie said...

Oh dear, I am so sorry to hear about your aunt, and about everybody in your circle of friends and acquaintances who have been diagnosed with cancer.
Your stitching is lovely, and the Stacy Nash is spectacular!

Michelle said...

So sorry to hear about your aunt. Sending my thoughts your way. Your Family Sampler is gorgeous and I do think I'll have to have that Earth Sampler. I need to get to my Stacy Nash kit too - isn't it pretty?

Chrissie said...

Melissa, sending healthy thoughts to you and those around you.
Take care :)
Chrissie

APO (Bem-Trapilho) said...

all very beautiful! :)