Followers

Saturday, 27 December 2008

OK. That's enough...

Snow, that is. Thank you very much, we've had our White Christmas - over and over and over- so it's time to say goodbye to snow!

Sometimes you can have more than enough of a good thing. We had a beautiful Whiter than White, records-kept-breaking, Christmas. It snowed all Christmas Eve day, then a break on Christmas Day which was great as it allowed us to get together for a family dinner, then heavy snow all day Boxing Day. No recreational shopping this year on Dec 26!

Today, we thought we could try getting out of the garage. We did...about a car length's - then got stuck. The back lane was just a river of snow. So, the guys dug and pushed our way back in the garage. My husband and I then decided to do walk up to the shopping area, about 10 plus blocks away. While the main streets are relatively clear, the side streets are still big piles of snow. You can't see the black of the road at all.

An hour and a half later we got back home. Along the way, we met with LOTS of cars stuck on the road, people with shovels digging away. Everyone was relatively good humored about it all. In a way it allowed you more interaction with people who would otherwise be out and about only in cars!

Despite the messiness of it now, it was so beautiful when it was snowing, especially when it got dark and the falling snow sparkling under the street lamps with Christmas lights twinkling in the background. What a lovely Christmas gift. (Now it's like waiting to get rid of all the wrapping paper, tinsels & stuff!)

Here are some stitching updates! A little more progress on Quaker Alphabet.
Quaker Alphabet, put on pause as of Dec 26

I started a new project, which is Shepherd Bush's Family Sampler. I realized yesterday that I will be starting the MM&IRR stitching in less than a week's time and that my scroll frame will be tied up with that project.
This is the first time I've ever stitched a Shepherd Bush design. It's so delicate and pretty. I have only started on the border so didn't bother with a photo. Hopefully more progress in the next day or two.

I'm also hoping to finish it by Dec 31! Wish me luck!

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you are enjoying the holiday season, snow or not.

6 comments:

Irene said...

I agree enough is enough. I didn't think I was going to get out Christmas Day, but managed. I'm hoping to get out again tomorrow. Good time for lots for stitching !

Glenna said...

Quaker Alphabet is looking lovely! I love, love, love Vancouver and campaigned to go there for Thanksgiving or Christmas--probably just as well with the snow and all the difficulties of snowy airports that we didn't. Where do you shop for needlework? I did not find a shop there the last time I visited.

Brigitte said...

Oh, I agree with you about the snow. It's OK when I can stay inside but I can't stand it when I have to drive to work.

Quaker Alphabet looks already great. And I'm looking forward to see SB's Family Sampler stitched up.

mainely stitching said...

I also like the way people are surprisingly good natured when bad weather forces them out of their cars (or off their bikes, here). Makes me almost wish it could happen more often. ;)

Great stitching. I can't wait to see your SB!

KarenV said...

Quaker Alphabet is looking wonderful so far!

I agree about the snow (not that we get that much over here though) - a light dusting is wonderful, any more than that and it's just a pain ;)

Patti said...

I love how Quaker Alphabet is coming along and I'm really glad I live in England where we virtually never get snow but we do get the wrong kind of leaves on the traintracks (now that was so funny when I heard that I almost wet myself laughing). I also love what you have chosen from SB to stitch. Hope you had a lovely Christmas and will have a great New Year. Lots of Love Patti xxx