Followers

Thursday, 18 December 2008

Finally I can start Christmas!

Happy Happy Dance! I am now off for the holiday season for 2 weeks! This is a catching-up post so a few things to show and tell. But first, please indulge me in a few words before the photos.

December is a stressful month, isn't it? There's Christmas to look forward to, but there are lots of activities and obligations tied to that. I was feeling quite stressed, tired, blue, just holding my breath for that last day of work to arrive! The weather here has been wild. Buckets of rain for awhile, very little sunshine. Then the snow came last Saturday evening and we are now in a cold snap. More snow fell during the week and more to come on Sunday. The snow plays havoc on the traffic but other than that it's very pretty! I quite like it (now that I'm off work!).

Through the December blues I stitched. I was tempted to rant in my blog but my better self kept my finger away from clicking on 'Publish Post'. The backspace and delete keys are also very helpful in preventing you from regretting your post - the equivalent of 'think before you speak'! Don't get me wrong, a little rant every now and then is helpful, but I felt mine would have just be moaning and whining...

So, I stitched, a little bit each day if I could. It was a type of meditation I suppose. And here, ta-da, is the little gem.
Of Female Arts
by Primitive Needle

I must have guessed that I would feel very stressed in December as this design was very simple and soothing - no special stitches and only one colour. I have to remember this trick in the future.

The original design called for 1 strand over 2 using Soie d'Alger but it didn't say how many skeins. I stitched 2 over 2 and used all 4 skeins of WDW Cappucino. I really liked this colour on the Vintage Light Examplar linen. The floss colour gave it a faded aged look.

Now, I will show you another stitch I made for Leena. She emailed me that she has received my package. We have been doing snail mail this year as we both love that and I decided to surprise her by stitching this monogrammed pinkeep for her as she had stitched a gorgeous pinkeep for me (left) in August.
Sister Pinkeeps joined once before one departs for the other side of the world

On the right is the pinkeep I stitched for Leena. The design is 'Mongrammed Pinkeep' from Stacy Nash Primitives. I had a piece of Meadowlark left over from I finished BOAF's Sally Spencer. Then I picked out the colours as burgundy and forest green as I knew Leena liked autumn colours. I stitched with 2 strands as opposed to 1 that Stacy used. However, on the back, I stitched with 1 strand so you can see the difference that makes.

After I finished the stitch I considered how to finish it and decided to do a pinkeep so I pulled out the pinkeep Leena made for me this year (left). I was amazed because the colours I had chosen were such a complement to the ones she had used on mine.

Here's the back of the pinkeeps.
Two pinkeeps, up against the wall!

Well, that wasn't exactly a typical exchange but it was the first gift I have stitched for anyone. I was very happy that Leena liked it. I'm sure I will be stitching this again as having something with your initial is kinda special, don't you think?

While I was 'zipping up' my blogging lips until I felt better again, I continued to visit blogs for creative inspiration. Partly it meant I just bought more things! One of the sites I found was Lauren Alexander's. I purchased a calendar and some stickers from her etsy shop. I just love the cheerfulness of her artwork!
Sorry my photo isn't very good. Here's what it looks like at her etsy shop.

In addition to the above, I'm feeling like a very happy gal right now, because:
  • I have lots of library holds that have come in so I will have lots of wonderful books to keep me company while the snow falls softly outside this weekend.
  • I have received 10 comments on my last post! OK. This might not mean much to many people but it meant a lot to me as it's the most comments I have ever received since I started blogging, hey, 3 months ago tomorrow! Love that!
This weekend, I have to play catch up on preparing for Christmas. I also have to decide which project to stitch next. Stay tuned!

Thank you for visiting! Hope you are staying warm and healthy while waiting for Santa! I will write again soon.

17 comments:

kvstitching said...

I love your finished Of Female Arts! In fact, your colour scheme has definitely enabled me to buy and stitch this design, hopefully sometime in the New Year.

Your ornaments for Leena are both lovely :)

Stay warm!

xstitch.nl said...

Congrats on such a stunning finish!! The colour combination is just perfect!! The two pinkeeps look beautiful together!!
Happy reading and Happy Holidays!!

Cathy B said...

Hi Melissa - thanks for stopping by my blog!

Congrats on the finish - your thread color choice is really beautiful - I like that antique sort of look.

Beautiful pinkeeps; I'm sure Leena will be pleased.

Good luck with the Christmas preparations. Have a wonderful holiday!

Jane said...

Wow, great finishes Melissa! The Primitive Needle piece took you no time to do. Some quick stitching indeed!

Hope you enjoy the time off over Christmas and looking forward to you next project. Happy holidays!

Kellie said...

Congratulations on all of your finishes. :) I recently discovered your blog and I have really enjoyed reading it. :)

staci said...

I always love your stitching and find it an inspiration :)

And let me just say I sympathize with you~~I've been tempted a few times to have a bit of a rant too ;)

Merry Christmas!

Kajsa said...

What a pretty finish!And your gift for Leena are just lovely.

mainely stitching said...

Followed the link from Cathy's blog, and like her, I'm wondering why I haven't seen your blog before!

Love your recent finishes, and will bear in mind the tips regarding December stitching. ;)

Rowyn said...

Love your finish, and your pinkeeps are super.

Have a lovely Christmas, and stay warm.

Annemarie said...

Yours is one of the very few blogs that can shake me out of my hermit-dom. When I started my current blog I made myself a B.O.W.: a Blogger Without Obligations, meaning I can come and go or stay away for as long as I want without having to feel obliged to apologize for my absence. It helps! It keeps blogging a hobby. But apart from that, I'm sure anyone visiting here would be interested in reading anything you have to write, because you write so well :o)

You *stitch* well, too, my friend! Your pinkeep is loveliness itself, and "Of Female Arts" is simply stunning. It's on my 2009 to-stitch list.

Happy holidays, Melissa. Enjoy your stitching, your reading, and your free time! {{{HUGS}}}

Mos Los Vagabondos said...

I too, recently found your blog and enjoy seeing your pretty finishes. I also truly appreciated your beautiful thoughts about poetry. I like reading about your "wild and precious life". Thanks and Merry Christmas.

Patti said...

WOW oh WOW - just how have I missed your blog before!!!! I just don't know and thank Kathy B for bringing me here. I love your work - it is sooooo inspirational and great. Thank you so much for sharing. Your New Friend (I Hope) Patti xxx

Nicole said...

Beautiful stitching Melissa! I love the Primitive Needle design! It turned out great! I hope you have a very Merry Christmas!

Nicole :)

Margie said...

You have some beautiful finishes! And we like all the same designers. :-)

Sandra said...

Your Primitive Needle sampler is gorgeous, I haven't seen that one before, but will definitely have that on my 'to do' list for 2009. There is something so relaxing and comforting about stitching a monochrome, you can almost stitch without really having to think.

Margaret said...

Your sampler and pinkeeps are wonderful. best wishes for a very Happy Christmas and thanks for reading my blog. See you in the New Year!!

Lennu said...

I really like this finish of yours, it's beautiful! I've found many new designs I love in your blog :)

Thank you once again for this beautiful pinkeep, it's such a special gift for me! The photo of the sister pinkeeps is beautiful, they really are sisters!