Followers

Tuesday, 30 December 2008

Farewell 2008, Hello 2009!

It's been an amazing year for me as far as stitching is concerned. If the ghost-of-Christmas-still-to-come had visited me a year ago and I was shown what 2008 was going to be like, I would have found it hard to believe.

It started with some down time in January and picking up the needle and thread to finish BOAF's Peace, which was started in 2003 and left in limbo for 5 years. That I continued onto other projects was not really earth shattering. What was really great this year was discovering the stitching blogs and a whole stitching community online, worldwide! That was just the most fun thing to have happened to me this year.

I was encouraged to start a blog, and that happened just over 3 months ago. It's been fun, creative, extremely nurturing and supportive, and I've started to make a few stitchy friends. What an amazing time and I certainly wouldn't have enjoyed it without you! I've discovered new designers, new finishes, shared interests because of your blogs!

So, a big THANK-YOU to you ALL! I have loved reading your comments and visiting your blogs.

Now, this bit is just some record keeping for future references. Completed projects in 2008:
  1. Peace (BOAF)
  2. Bluebird's Message (BBD)
  3. Quaker Garden (BBD)
  4. Their Song (BBD)
  5. Where My Heart Blooms (BBD)
  6. My Needle's Work (LHN)
  7. Beneath the Sunlit Sky (BBD)
  8. Strawberry Garden (BBD)
  9. June Berries (BBD)
  10. Bittersweet Sampler (BOAF)
  11. Winter Sampler (BOAF)
  12. Sally Spencer (BOAF)
  13. Of Female Arts (Primitive Needle)
  14. Monogrammed Pinkeep (for Leena) (Stacy Nash Primitives)
So, what plans for 2009? I have signed up for some exchanges and this will be a first. I have to be careful not to over commit myself and I'm already eying the calendar nervously!

I started 2008 being primarily a BBD and BOAF fan. Since then I've discovered Shepherd's Bush, a lot of 'primitive' designers, and fallen in love all over again with Prairie Schooler. Strangely enough recently I saw some old designs that I liked from over five years ago and I still like them. Here's one them that I'd like to stitch in 2009:

Crowflower
by Workbasket

I've had this BOAF chart for a very long time and it's a fair size one, for me. This might be worthy of a SAL later on!
A Very Fine Sampler
by Birds of a Feather

Another one I must stitch is this:
Autumn Leaves
by Prairie Schooler

Actually I hope I will get to stitch all four seasons!

Of course I have to include my new favourite - Shepherd's Bush.
My Mom's Garden
by Shepherd's Bush

My stash has grown at an embarassing rate since I started my blog. Oh well, it's fun and it's non-fattening plus something beautiful leaves our hands for others to enjoy for years to come. It will be interesting how things will look a year from now, as far as what I get accomplished stitching-wise! But I have no desire to rush through this coming year. Rather I hope I will take time to slow down just a tad and 'smell the flowers' so to speak.

Sending Happy New Year wishes your way. I wish you all Peace, Health and Happiness and may 2009 bring you lots more stitching fun!

16 comments:

KarenV said...

You've got some lovely projects lined up :) I'm glad you've started blogging, I really enjoy reading your blog!

Rowyn said...

You have some lovely projects lined up for 2009.

I found 2008 became a year of committment stitching. Which is fun in some respects, but I am looking forward to taking it easy in 2009 and getting back to some old WIPs (and some new ones). So it is definitely wise to not over commit yourself or it can become un-fun. :-)

Happy new year!

Susimac said...

Happy New Year Melissa, I like your future planned projects. You'll have fun with the exchanging, its good to do.

Dovilė said...

Happy New Year! Lovely future projects.

Karoline said...

Congratulations on your achievements in 2008 and good luck with your 2009 plans, there are some lovely projects in there.

Lennu said...

Happy New Year, dear Melissa! It was wonderful to meet you this year :) I've so much enjoyed your blog too and your new projects are beautiful. Happy stitching!

Jane said...

Happy New Year, Melissa!! I've enjoyed discovering your blog and our email exchanges. Glad to have made another SB fan, and a stitching friend to share some interests. Good luck with your future stitching projects. They look like they'll keep you busy over the coming months. I look forward to seeing your progress pics on your blog. I hope 2009 is a good one for you!

PS: Just read your comment on my blog and I'm glad you got the SN order in. Great effort staying up for it!

linenstitcher2 said...

I enjoyed this post! I totally agree that the online stitching community is great! Glad you decided to join in by blogging. I love your taste in projects and look forward to seeing your 2009 finishes.

Happy New Year to you!!

Cindy said...

Congratulations on a very successful stitching year! You have some great projects lined up for 2009. Happy New Year :)

Patti said...

Congratulations from me too on a very successful stitching year. Next year I am going to spend far less on this darn computer and more stitching - even if I am the slowest stitcher on earth. I just wanted to wish you a very Happy & Healthy New Year and a big thank you for your blog because love it. Lots of Love Patti xxx

Glenna said...

I like Crowflower also; have seen it before but really looked at it becuase you mentioned it. That's what I like about stitchy blogging; you see new things or look at things in new ways, that you might not have otherwise. Happy new year! I'm looking forward to visiting often.

Barb said...

I too recently discovered all the wonderful stitching blogs and started my own. I just bought PS Autumn Leaves and a little SB kit so it seems we have something in common there. Happy Stitching and Happy New Year!

Lisa said...

I guess 2008 was the year for new stitching bloggers, I too found the world of stitchy blogs and exchange groups and am soo thrilled to be a part of this wonderful group of people. I started my blog a couple of months ago too and have made some wonderful friends. Here's to a fab 2009 and hope I come across you in some exchange groups aswell. Love your work!
LISA V.

mainely stitching said...

Great upcoming projects! Best wishes for 2009! :D

staci said...

You have some beautiful projects picked out...I especially love that Workbasket piece :)

Wishing you a wonderful 2009!!!

Chiloe said...

Happy new year full of great stitching !!!