Followers

Saturday, 1 November 2008

Treats for the Grown-up Gal

Hello November! I am more than happy to wave goodbye to October. It was a busy month at work and I was sick for most of it. Never mind. I am feeling better now and the bright side is I got to stitch while I was literally off my feet. I've completed some major work at work and I can breathe easier for a bit. The other day I even found myself a bit bored! But I didn't complain, no sirreee-bob!

So, this is a longer blog! Lots of things to blah-blah-blah about, lots of eye candy!

First of all, thank you for all those who visit the site and leave comments. Your kind words and well wishes when I was sick really helped make me feeling better. I am so thrilled every time I find them the day after I post. It's like when you're a kid at Christmas, you leave milk and cookies for Santa. The next morning, you see the crumbs left and you race to the tree to look for, then find the presents!!! What a thrill! It's like that. Even for those who visit and don't leave comments, thank you for visiting. I didn't mean to leave you out!

Second, a finish! Oh I am so thankful I have completed something and feel like I've got my stitching groove back. I hadn't finished anything since August. So, here it is. If you compare to the original design, you will find that I have changed the ground. I found the heavy stitching on the ground section just too much, so I just decided to do it free form and made it lighter. I am pleased with it and it suits me better.
Winter Sampler
by Birds of a Feather

I have also included a couple of finishes from July and August. I will get all three framed next week.
June Berries

June Berries is from the booklet A Fine Collection by Blackbird Designs and a fine one it is. It has one chart for each month and plus an extra one shown on the cover of the book. I have stitched August Melon as well but haven't got a photo of it yet.

Bittersweet Flower
by Birds of a Feather

For those who have stitched this sampler before, you will have noticed that I left the words out. I was leaving them out till the end to stitch but then I liked the airiness of the piece better so I left the words out.

Third - STASH! Yipppppeeee! I am still in squirrel-mode and keeping the economy going! The first grouping I can thank Jane for (she's my nominee for Stash Queen!). On a recent post, she had a huge stash from The Thread Basket. This was when I found out about other French designers. So here are my acquisitions.
starting from top left and going clockwise
Pluie de fleurs by CC - Coeur de Lin
Allons compter violettes by Tournicoton
ABC l'automne by Cmon monde
C'est le Matin by Cmon monde

Now, I have a wee problem with 'Pluie de fleurs' (Shower of flowers). I loved it when I saw it on the website. When I received the chart, I realized that a lot of the chart has 'over 1' stitching. Now, I can handle a little bit of 'over 1' stitching but there are lots more than I (and my eyes) feel comfortable with. My question is - is anyone interested in either buying this from me, or trading some charts in return? I mean, I would love to have this stitched and hanging on my wall, but I know I won't do it myself. So, let me know if anyone is interested.

On Friday I received my order from Stacy Nash Primitives. The Christmas booklet is gorgeous and is perfect for stitching small gifts.

A Simply Early Christmas
Hen & Chicks Pincushion and Sewing Pouch
Monogrammed Pinkeep

OK, more treats - books! Fall is a great time for new books. Here is a really cute one I found.
Isn't that little kitty the cutest? The book wasn't very expensive and I thought I would buy it so that I might give it a try one day. If not, the cute little animals make me smile and they look quite realistic!

Next, cookbooks from two of my favourite ladies. Fabulicious! I have 3 other Barefoot Contessa cookbooks and the recipes are great. Yes, she does wield butter like a magician. Now you see it, next it's on your thighs!
Tomorrow I will set up my next stitching project (all will be revealed next time!).

Do you feel festive already? Believe it or not I bought some Christmas ornaments on Friday. They weren't particularly Christmas-y which means I can use them all year round. One of them is the blackbird you see in some of my photos above. He's real cute.

I leave you with a quote I saw recently, which just made me laugh.
"One day I will burst my bud of calm and blossom into hysteria"
Not sure who I can attribute this quote to but it's a good one! It describes what the stress at work felt like in September and October!

Have a great week, and Happy Stitching!

9 comments:

Lennu said...

Hi Melissa! Oh it was wonderful to read your blog again and what beautiful photos you have to share!! Your Winter Sampler finish is lovely, I love the change you made, I think it looks better this way. The older finishes are beautiful too, I always love everything you stitch.

You've lovely new stash too. What a cute kitty in that book cover! Have a happy Sunday and happy stitching!

KarenV said...

I love your finishes! Winter Sampler looks wonderful and the lighter stitching at the bottom works well. I love Bitter Flower Sampler too. You got some wonderful stash, can't wait to see you stitch up some of the charts you bought.

Jane said...

Hi Melissa! I'm glad you're feeling much better now. What a recovery with some stitching and stash you've made too. Your finishes are terrific - I especially like Bittersweet Flower. I think it looks just as good without the words.

Great stash haul. Good luck with the Pluie de fleurs chart whether you do or don't attempt it. It would certainly be a challenge.

Yuko said...

Hi Melissa,
Your finished pieces are very beautiful!
Most of them are my favourite, and bitter flower from BOAF is in my project list!
June berries is SO beautiful, I think I should get the booklet!!
Thanks for sharing these beautiful photos with us!

staci said...

Congrats on all of your lovely finishes! Winter Sampler looks wonderful the way you've stitched it, and I love the fabric you used too.

You've got some great new stash there, enjoy :)

Sherry said...

Hi Melissa, I LOVE LOVE your Winter Sampler finish it is wonderful as are your other finishes but that one is fantastic!
Hope you are feeling better now!

Wendy said...

Wow - what a stashy feast for the eyes! I have enjoyed seeing your beautiful finishes and all the new lovely things...now to track down that felted book!

Annemarie said...

Wow, what a fun-filled post, Melissa! And I feel the same as you do about comments :o)
There literally is too much to comment on, but your finishes are stunning!!! I think the BBD is especially beautiful. Strange, how no-one ever seems to stitch anything from the BBD books, while the designs are obviously gorgeous.
I just love your blog!

Chrissie said...

Hi Melissa, thank you for visiting my blog. I am glad I have found yours and will book mark it. I love your finishes and look forward to seeing them framed. Funny how we can go to the framer with an idea in mind and leave having chosen something completely different.
Love your Stacy Nash as well. She is one of my favourites too.

Chrissie