Saturday, November 22, 2008

A Stitching Friend

Yesterday morning, I went to my framer's to pick up Winter Sampler. Something interesting happened there for which I had laid the ground work sometime ago. Intrigued? Here's the story.

Since I've been getting so many things framed the past few months and seeing Janet (my framer) quite frequently on Saturday mornings, I had asked her if she had other customers who do cross stitch as well. She said she knew maybe 3 people who come in every now and then to get their finishes framed. I had then asked her to feel free to pass on my name and number and mention that I'm looking for fellow stitchers to 'play with'.

When I walked into Janet's yesterday morning, there appeared to me a mirage - a stitcher with a bunch of Shepherd Bush finishes laid out over the table, with Jill Rensel mats! Oooooh, lovely stuff! So, Janet kind of introduced Janice to me and we got to chatting a bit. I oohed and aahed over her SB stuff and she admired my Winter Sampler and was intrigued by the BOAF linen. We could have just kept on gabbing right there in the shop. However, my husband was with me as we were just starting our errands so I had to go. Janice said she would phone me and she did! We are likely going to visit each other next weekend as fortunately we live maybe half an hour's drive apart! I think she was as excited as I was about sharing our interest (obsession to some) in stitching.

Wasn't that the neatest thing to happen?!!! Ask and ye shall receive!

Oh, here's my framed piece.
Winter Sampler
Birds of a Feather
Linen is BOAF Meadowlark

My first choice for the frame was actually a wooden white frame with a wavy carving all around, smudged with a tan colour so it had a very primitive look. This frame was the next best thing and I like the details which give it a festive feel.

I started stitching a Christmas gift this week - it may be a pinkeep or an ornament for hanging up. I'm not sure yet. I can't show you any pictures since it's a gift. My head is still spinning a bit from chatting over the phone with Janice. We were both so excited - it was like finding someone who can finally speak your own language!

I will sign off now. Happy Thanksgiving to our American friends and neighbours. And Happy end of November to the rest of us! Four weeks and a bit to Christmas!!!

6 comments:

Yuko said...

As always, you chose beautiful frame!
It's just perfect for BOAF's design!

Nicole said...

It's beautiful Melissa! That's awesome that you met a stitching friend and one that you have a lot in common with!!

staci said...

That's great that you've made a new stitching friend, how fun! Love your Winter Sampler...looks wonderful!

Annemarie said...

Sorry I've been so quiet, lately. Nothing personal because I love your blog, as you know.
Gorgeous frame, Melissa. Of course I don't know what your original choice looked like, but this turned out very nice indeed.
What great news that you have a new stitching friend so close by! It's such a joy to meet with stitching friends, as I now know from experience. Our little group meets up every month. Now all you have to do is to introduce Janice into the wonderful world of blogging and share her work with us!

Margaret said...

What a great result. I'm sure you are pleased.

Andrea said...

OMG, I love this!! Have it in my stash but not stitched it yet. Your finish is very inspirational! Love the frame too :-)
Stitching friends are the best! I'm happy you found some :-)