Saturday, November 8, 2008

Rainfall warning & Bliss!

OK. It's very strange to say there's a rainfall warning and bliss in the same sentence, I know. We've had lots of rain the last week or so and they forecast more this weekend. However, I have a four-day weekend and having lots of rain outside means I can burrow down in my stitching den and while away the hours! Bliss!

After finishing my Winter Sampler last week, I set up the other half of my Meadowlark linen in order to stitch BOAF Sally Spencer sampler. However, I first got distracted with the U.S. Election early on in the week, then spent time catching up on blogs so that I didn't start stitching until Thursday. Here's a progress shot.
The colours are wonderful. The red is called "Buckeye Scarlet" - love that name! Funny thing the red, blue (Brethren Blue), and white (Buttermilk) remind me of U.S. flag colours - very timely don't you think? I'm really enjoying stitching this. As I write this post, I have stitched a lot more. I even (cough) hope to finish it by Tuesday - well, one can hope. I am going to forgo the alphabet and instead I am putting in something different. What, you ask. Hmmm. You'll just have to wait and see! (And I have to figure out if my idea will work!)

I see on a few blogs lately that the stitchers have been very generous with give-aways. I have yet to win one but it's such fun to see these happen. I was wondering if I should do something too as I have been blogging for... hmmm, less than 2 months. Can't really count much of an anniversary can I? :-) I have so enjoyed my time here. Of course I always enjoy people visiting my blog and leaving comments, but it's not all about me is it? How boring that would be. I love visiting all the creative stitchers - you have been truly inspirational to me. I have found new designers, new ways to finish and it's just fun reading about what other stitchers are up to around the world!

Today I took my the three finished pieces to my framer, Janet. She's framed all but one piece of my work since 1993! I am really looking forward to getting my Winter Sampler framed. Janet suggested a frame totally opposite of what I was thinking of, and I think it will be gorgeous. I expect that I will have pictures of them next weekend.

Just to finish off this post, here's my book stash received a couple of days ago.
So, the cookbook is an attempt to eat healthier. My favourite novel this year - The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, which I wrote about here, is now in my personal stash (I was reading a library copy before). The book in the middle is "In and Out of the Garden" by Sara Midda. She is an English artist and has produced these exquisitely delicate drawings and watercolours. Her work makes me feel like a young girl saving treasures.

I will post more this weekend. I especially have some words for Remembrance Day. Thank you for stopping by my corner of the world. Happy Stitching!

5 comments:

Annemarie said...

Another lovely post, Melissa. Can't wait to see your progress on the new BOAF sampler, and the framed pieces!
It was nice to see your book list. I'm desperately looking for a book that will give me the inspiration to start reading again, so any tips are welcome!

Lennu said...

Melissa, your Sally Spencer sampler looks beautiful, it's a lovely design and your fabric is perfect. I so much enjoyed reading your post again! I hope you'll have a lovely long weekend to stitch and I look forward to seeing your progress and the framings! It's wonderful that you've found a good framer.

KarenV said...

I love your start on Sally Spencer, it's going to be beautiful on that fabric.

The books look interesting too - must check them out for myself.

Nicole said...

Hi Melissa,

Thank you for your comment on my blog. I have been reading your blog for the past couple of days and I love all of your projects. You are stitching have stitched many of my favorites! I'm looking forward to more of your posts! :)

Nicole said...

P.S. Sally Spencer is looking great! I can't wait to see more of your progress! I love the fabric!!