Followers

Monday, 10 November 2008

One Wild and Precious Life

Well, one more precious day of my long weekend remaining. I stitched a lot on Sunday but took a break today. I also got a call from my framer today - the beautiful frame that I was so looking forward to for my Winter Sampler has been discontinued! She said she couldn't find any around so it's back to square one. I was so disappointed.

In a quiet moment that most of us will take tomorrow for Remembrance Day, I offer a few words for contemplation. I actually wrote it quite awhile ago but needed to find the right moment to post it.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
My love of reading stems from the wonder of how words can be used to convey so much. I think the power of words are never more powerful than in poetry because so much can be said in so few words.

Mary Oliver is a contemporary American poet. I don't remember how I came to know her poetry but probably from an anthology. I have several compilations put together by Roger Housden. Last Saturday as I was building my blog (back in September), I happened to look upon a book of poetry close by my computer called "Dancing with Joy". One of the poems was "The Summer Day" by Mary Oliver. The last two lines of the poem go like this.

Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?

These two lines hit me in the solar plexus. Take away those 4 words italized and you get "tell me, what is it you plan to do with your...life?" Isn't that something that each of us have been asked, whether by a parent, a teacher, a relative, a friend? But insert those 4 words "one wild and precious" and immediately you sit up and take notice. Hey! It's not about what career you want to choose when you grow up, it's about WHAT you want to do with your ONE ('coz you only get one) WILD ('coz Life is not containable) and PRECIOUS (just because it is).

I love it. I want to stitch those 2 lines one day; one day when I find the right design for it. I

May you celebrate your one wild and precious life tomorrow with the ones you love.

2 comments:

Lennu said...

Hi Melissa! Oh I'm so sorry to read that the frame has been discontiued! What a disappointment, I completely understand. I hope you'll find a new frame though.

I enjoyed reading your thoughts about words, it's so true! What a lovely verse, thanks for sharing. I've also collected some verses I want to stitch one day. I have a poem written by my daughter some years ago, it's a cute autumnal (Halloweenish?) poem about witches cooking etc. and I know already the design I want to stitch with it, but just haven't started yet.

Have a happy week!

Annemarie said...

Melissa, thanks for sharing this. It's so true, isn't it? I asked myself a similar question for quite some time: it helped me make a difficult but very good decision. It changed my life, and every day, I'm grateful for it.
I, too, love to stitch words and I'm curious to know how you intend to incorporate this poem in your stitching.