Followers

Monday, 13 October 2008

Thanks Giving, Eh!

It is our Canadian Thanksgiving, so it's appropriate to give thanks (also say 'eh!' as it's so Canadian eh!). Even if, I've been sick with the flu since I came home from work on Friday! However, I have to look at this way, make the most of what life hands you. The good thing was I got what I had wanted to accomplish at work before I got sick, and I think my body just said 'ok, that's done, and it's time for you to take care of me now!'.

There's always a bright side to everything, right? For me, it was because I had to 'stay quiet' that I got to read a fantastic book, and attempt my first pinkeep!

First the fabulous new book I discovered is "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" by Mary Ann Schaffer and Annie Borrows. What a title! You can tell just by the title it's something unusual and it must be even a tiny bit humorous! I haven't found a book I so thoroughly enjoyed for a very long time and I read a lot! While there are lots of great reads I can recommend, this one is so full of heart that I want everybody to read it.

Here's where you can read more about the book and its authors. I won't go into a review of the book but give you the reasons I loved the book:

1. It's written in the form of letters. I miss the whole grace of letter writing. We are in such a fast paced world that it's difficult to really say it all in an email. Besides, there is the anticipation of receiving a letter in the post and the opening and reading of it - so precious that someone has gone into all that work to say hello! In this book, the story unfolds by the letters written amongst the characters and it's amazing how the characters come to life in front of your eyes.

2. It is very funny - shoulder shaking funny at times. Other times it will catch you unaware and tears with spring in your eyes and your heart will clench. After all this is about what happened during World War II. It exposes the humanity and inhumanity but most of all, it celebrates Life.

3. This book is also about reading. These people belong to an impromptu, and quirky book club that sprung up out of necessity. You'll have to read it to find out, but books are also celebrated in this story.

One final note about the book. As you can see there are 2 authors. The original author is Mary Ann Schaffer. When she fell ill, her niece (already an author herself), Annie Barrow, stepped in to help finish the book. After I finished reading this book, I googled for more info as I was hoping that a sequel is forthcoming. Sadly I found that Mary Ann died earlier this year. What a wonderful treasure she has left for us to enjoy. Thank you to both authors.

The other 'accomplishment' during my sick weekend is that I got to make not one, but two pinkeeps! I have been thinking of trying my hand my pinkeeps for awhile, gathering supplies slowly like a bird gathers bits and bobs for its nest. I had found a couple of stitched ornament pieces that have been kicking around unfinished for years. (Did I mention I am not a 'finishing' type?)

So, here is the first pinkeep done on Saturday. I followed the instructions from Nicki's class here. Thank you Nicki! It was also helpful to have the lovely pinkeep Leena stitched for me as an example.
from Holiday Homestead
Prairie Schooler

This one was stitched in the "olden" days, circa pre-2000, using aida (eeek!) but you can see that I was at least getting away from white aida! I was all thumbs when I was making this one into a pinkeep. It was accompanied by mutterings and grumblings about how I don't like finishing!

Well, it didn't turn out too badly, after lots of adjustments of course. The next day, I decided to try my hand at the second pinkeep.
Garden Angel
by TLC Designs

This second one was stitched on linen and it was part of a kit to make into a hanging ornament. Like I said, I am not great at finishing stuff into anything other than getting it framed! But I am learning! I was amazed that I felt more comfortable doing this second pinkeep and am quite pleased with the result.

Isn't she a sweet angel too? TLC Designs is a local designer by the name of Tina Chau. I'm not sure how much she is designing these days. She used to work at my LNS but that store closed a few years ago. Some of her designs can still be found at Button & Needlework Boutique in Victoria, on Vancouver Island.

So, I'm recovering slowly. I'm still feeling so tired and achy. But I have a wonderful book to re-read, and 2 new pinkeeps to keep me company! Have a good week!

3 comments:

KarenV said...

Lovely finishes! Finishing is all about practice, the more you do, the easier it gets :)

Hope you're feeling better soon.

staci said...

Adorable pinkeeps! Sorry to hear that you've been ill, hope you're feeling much better now :)

Lennu said...

Oh I love these finishes! They are so cute and perfect. The tiny angel is adorable!