Followers

Wednesday, 1 October 2008

A Nice Start to October

What a wonderful start to October. It was 24 degrees driving home today! There's a bit of rain coming but I hope the weather gets nice again for the weekend.

Well, I've gotten back to stitching, thank goodness. I can finally show you the progress on Elizabeth Savilles. We are still experimenting with lighting when taking photos. The first one was taken with the OTT light, which I use for stitching. You can see the stitching better but the colours are washed out. The second photo was taken with regular lighting so the reverse is true. The colours in the second one is truer to what the fibers look like in real life.
- taken with OTT light-

- taken with regular lighting -

I must say stitching this piece, for me the biggest I've ever tackled, has been an exercise in patience. I know it will be worth it in the end but all those other charts are calling me!!! I'm sure you all know the feeling.

Someone had asked about how I do stitching. As you can see I use a scroll frame. I used to use hoops when I first started cross stitching. However about 10 years ago I was in a cycling mishap and broke my collarbone, on the side that I use for stitching. I found that up and around movement when using a hoop just gave me pain. Even though it is not so portable, I like the scroll frame a lot.

Lastly I will leave you with one of my very favourite stitch this year. I never took notice of this chart on the ONS (poorly photographed I think) until I saw it stitched on someone's blog, and then I had to stitch it too.
Beneath the Sunlit Sky
Blackbird Design
Completed 2008
As always, thank you for stopping by on your travels through Blogland. Hope you are enjoying Autumn (or Spring!) in your world.

8 comments:

Annemarie said...

Oh, you use a scroll frame too! I need one, I think. I love to stitch with two hands, although I am originally an in-hand stitcher.
Your sampler on the scrolls looks amazing. Like you, the BBD sampler didn't call to me until I saw it stitched up, and now it is on my list for 2009 :o)

Becky K in OK said...

What a beautiful start. Which stand do you use?

staci said...

Hi Melissa! Saw your post on the MM&IRR and thought I'd pop over and check out your new blog :) Your stitching is lovely and I'll definately be back again!

Melissa said...

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your lovely comments. I love reading them!

Becky, the scroll frame I use is made locally in BC. I'm afraid I don't know the name.

Melissa

Carol R said...

Hi Melissa - just thought I would drop in to welcome you to blogland. Great photos and lovely stitching!

Susimac said...

Its a lovely finish and I love your blog, will be back again soon.
Welcome to blogland!

Deborah/LavenderRose said...

That's so interesting about OTT light photography. I have to try that. My camera is just the worst for pic taking...note my blog and pics! Your BBD piece is darling. One of these days I may get to mine, too!! I thought your MM&I,RR idea was great.
Hugs,
Deb

Teri said...

Hi Melissa. I just "discovered" your blog thanks to your post on the MMIRR. I've enjoyed reading your entries and looking at all your wonderful stitched and framed pieces. I'm a cat lover, so I'll definitely keep my eyes open for that darling book. Glad you started a blog; I'll be back!