Followers

Saturday, 20 September 2008

Follow the Yellow Brick Road

Well, here we are, Toto. We're in Blogland!

Hello . My name is Melissa. I returned to cross stitching this January, after a 5 year absence. While I learned to stitch in the early 1990's, my stitching has not been continuous. In many ways I really feel like a new kid on the block.

What brought me back to stitching was an unfinished BOAF's Peace, which sat on my scroll frame for 5 years, survived a huge house move and was calling for closure! Fortunately I had a few weeks off after Christmas last year so I decided to dive in. After finishing Peace I just rolled into a few Blackbird Designs that I just 'happened' to have around. As of August I had completed 10 projects. I will write more about them in another post.

What inspired me to keep stitching this time was the stitching blogs, which I had discovered quite by accident. I didn't hang out on the Internet much so the whole web community thing is new to me. Through the stitching blogs I became friends with lovely Leena. She made this gorgeous pinkeep for me. I was so thrilled! You can read about how we connected here, with the August 21 post.

Here is a photo of Leena's beautiful pinkeep from her blog.

While Leena encouraged me to blog, I was wondering how to even start. So, I procrastinated. Then came the motivation for this blog.

I read Edgar's blog regularly because he is one of those who posts often and is prolific with his stitching, and his blog is fun to read. He mentioned that he is organizing the 2009 SBBC. I wanted to join but the catch was - you had to have a blog. More procrastination. I emailed Edgar last week asking if the SBBC was full. Of course if it was full, I could procrastinate some more! Edgar was very nice when he replied to my email, and he was very supportive that I could create a blog, and yes, there is still room he said.

So, this is my "just-do-it" blog. I will start simple, and figure out more features as I go. If you have any tips I would love to hear them.

Now, onto the stitching stuff. I am currently working on the largest sampler I've ever tackled. - Elizabeth Saville 1841 by Finger Work.

I am using all the suggested fibers and they are just gorgeous. I started this late August and it's been slow going. I don't have a photo yet. I have barely got the top border done.

My excuse is that my sleepy stitching world was woken by the call of the Me, Myself & I Round Robin. It didn't require a blog, so I though innocently enough, why not? Well, it's exciting to be part of this, but it's also been time consuming trying to decide how to create my first neighbourhood. I also spent time browsing the ONS and buying charts. I am still waiting for the key charts to arrive so I can nail down the blueprints soon, and maybe get back to stitching E.S.

All the browsing ONS has been fun for growing the stash and a little embarrassing how much I have bought that has nothing to do with building the neighbourhood! But what's a girl to do? I have 5 years to catch up on right? I will write more about my stash in my upcoming posts.

I think this post has been quite long enough and I've been writing and editing this in my head for weeks. It's a relief to finally have created my first post! wooo-hoooo!

Well, Toto, time to call it a night. Oh, sorry, I forgot to introduce you. Toto is my faithful companion that I found on my journey through Blogland to this little spot. He's a wheaten terrier and when he sees new stitching stash, he goes 'yipppppeeeee' and dances around in circles. What a pal, eh?

Thank you for stopping by and I hope you'll come by and see us again.

3 comments:

Lennu said...

How WONDERFUL that you now have a blog, Melissa!! Congratulations, it looks beautiful. I'm so excited to start reading your blog and seeing all the beautiful stitching you do.

Thank you for your kind words, I'm so happy you contacted me in the first place. Thank you once again for the beautiful charts you sent, it was my joy and pleasure to stitch you the pinkeep.

Elizabeth Saville sampler looks gorgeous, please post progress photos when you have a moment, it'd be great to see your stitching even if you've just started.

Have a wonderful Sunday!

Old Yankee Stitcher said...

What a great start welcome to blogland I know you will like it here. CJ(ok;-)

Dovilė said...

very lovely:)